Gillad represents real estate private equity funds, institutional and private investors, commercial and investment banks and other financial institutions in various real estate finance transactions. Gillad's practice focuses on complex construction financing, including transactions with mortgage/mezzanine structures, note-on-note financing and/or preferred equity investments. Gillad has experience with all asset classes (residential condominium, multifamily, office, retail and hotel properties) and with properties located nationwide, with a focus on New York properties and the New York lien law.
Gillad spent time as a secondee attorney for a client where he reviewed offering memorandums and financial models, participated in pipeline and strategy meetings, and drafted term sheets for prospective deals. As a result of this experience, Gillad understands business side considerations and the role of counsel on real estate transactions.
Gillad has prior experience representing investment banks, financial institutions, and originators in their roles as issuers, underwriters, placement agents, and loan sellers in both public and private offerings of commercial mortgage-backed securities and collateralized loan obligations.
- Mortgage/mezzanine lender in New York building loan origination for the ground-up construction of a multifamily project in Astoria, New York, including structuring for non-US capital partner, preferred equity investment, guaranty credit support from the general contractor and note-on-note leverage financing.
- Mortgage lender in contentious loan modification for defaulted loan on multifamily property in New York, New York.
- Mortgage lender in New York building loan origination for the ground-up construction of a mixed-use project in Brooklyn, New York, including an amendment to reallocate funds from the building loan to the project loan.
- Preferred equity investor in a ground-up construction of a mixed-use project in Washington, DC.
- Mortgage/mezzanine lender in a ground-up construction project for an ultra-high-end luxury residential condominium in New York City.
- Mortgage/mezzanine lender in an office redevelopment project in New York City.
- Mortgage lender in an office to residential conversion project in New York City.
- Mortgage/mezzanine lender in a ground-up construction project for a residential condominium project in Seattle, Washington.
- Mortgage lender in a ground-up mixed-use project in the Essex Crossing redevelopment in New York City.
- JD, New York Law School, 2013, magna cum laude
- BS, Boston University, 2008
- New York