“In the firm’s renowned product liability field, Jay Mayesh is specifically identified by peers as the firm’s undisputed leader.”–Benchmark Litigation 2013
For more than 40 years, Jay defended clients against product liability claims and conducted audits to evaluate the potential product-related liabilities in proposed corporate acquisitions and reorganizations.
He has particular experience representing pharmaceutical firms and other life sciences entities in product liability suits, including having served as trial counsel to The Upjohn Company in DES litigation, Baxter Healthcare on breast implant litigation, Pfizer in phase III clinical trial litigation and Warner-Lambert in Rezulin litigation. Jay also advised a wide variety of manufacturing clients, including successfully defending DaimlerChrysler in the first child air bag case to be tried in the United States; American Motors in Jeep rollover litigation; and the welding industry in cases alleging occupation exposure to asbestos.
Most recently he served as National Counsel to Knauf Plasterboard Tianjin (KPT) in a multi-district litigation involving thousands of US homes that were built using Chinese dry wall. In re: Chinese-Manufactured Drywall Products Liability Litigation, Jay successfully led the Kaye Scholer team in defending claims of product liability, extra-territorial jurisdiction and veil piercing against a global manufacturer. He developed and negotiated a landmark global class action settlement that benefited both the client and homeowners alike by allowing KPT to repair the affected homes at no charge to the homeowners and in lieu of monetary damages.
Jay regularly speaks on product liability and related issues in various seminars, lectures and courses in the US and abroad. Jay holds a faculty appointment in Forensic Psychiatry at Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, and is a member of the Product Liability Advisory Council.
Awards & Recognition
- Chambers USA: Leading Lawyers for Business, National Product Liability & Mass Torts), 2007-2014
- Best Lawyers in America (NY: Mass Tort Litigation & Class Actions), 2006-2014
- Litigation and Product Liability Lawyers Expert Guide by Legal Media Group, 2014
- LMG Life Sciences Star, 2012-2013
- Benchmark Litigation (National Litigation Star), 2013-2014
- Who’s Who Legal (Product Liability Defense and Life Sciences), 2013
- Inside Counsel (Top Lawyers to Call for Product Liability Matters), 2007
- JD, Columbia Law School, 1972, Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
- BA, University of Wisconsin, 1969, Phi Beta Kappa