Tom McSorley advises and represents clients in international trade, national security, data security and privacy, government contracts, and political law matters. Mr. McSorley helps companies across the defense, financial services, manufacturing, telecommunications, energy, healthcare, education, and technology sectors protect their commercial and compliance relationships with key government agencies and under applicable federal laws and regulations.
Prior to returning to the firm, Mr. McSorley spent two years as in house counsel and a compliance officer at a major aerospace company.
Mr. McSorley advises clients on all aspects of complex federal regulatory and enforcement matters, including:
- Complying with US trade sanctions and export controls;
- Navigating complex foreign investment and national security reviews that accompany mergers and acquisitions, at home and abroad, including CFIUS reviews and coordinating related global foreign investment reviews and clearances;
- Responding to emerging data security, privacy, unmanned aerial and ground vehicles, artificial intelligence, and other late breaking regulatory developments;
- Conducting internal investigations for both commercial and government contractor clients and filing voluntary disclosures with regulators when necessary;
- Developing strategies to deal with law enforcement and national security agencies on a wide range of issues;
- Obtaining regulatory clearances, licenses, and authorizations for an array of cutting edge commercial activities from the Federal Communications Commission, the Federal Aviation Administration, and the Departments of State, Commerce, and Treasury;
- Providing guidance to companies, nonprofits, and political organizations on complying with federal, state, and local campaign finance, procurement, pay-to-play, lobbying, and ethics laws;
- Reaching favorable outcomes when enforcement matters do arise.
Mr. McSorley's active pro bono practice focuses on complex civil rights litigation.
- US and non-US companies in providing ongoing guidance and counseling across sectors on compliance with US trade sanctions and export controls.
- Companies in major acquisitions involving review by the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS), mitigation of Foreign Ownership, Control, and Influence, and compliance with the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
- Developing export compliance, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), and other policies and procedures and compliance programs.
- Public companies in diverse industry sectors on lawful intercept, compulsory legal process, and voluntary requests for information and assistance received from the Intelligence Community, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and state law enforcement agencies.
- Public information technology companies in developing governance structures, processes, and personnel for oversight of government contracts and classified business activities.
- Defense contractors on compliance with US government cybersecurity and supply chain security requirements. Coordinated national security clearances and foreign investment filings in a global merger involving assets in more than 80 countries.
- Companies on FAA regulation of the commercial use of unmanned aircraft ("drones").
- Several government contractors in bid protest matters.
- Major defense contractor in a data rights dispute with the government.
- Financial institutions, consumer facing companies, and contractors in internal investigations regarding potential cybersecurity breaches, violations of export controls, and violations of federal acquisition regulations and related obligations.
- Telecommunications and technology companies on matters of FCC rules, privacy, and information security.
- JD, Georgetown University Law Center, 2012, summa cum laude
- MA, Special Education, American University, 2008
- BA, Harvard College, 2006, cum laude
- District of Columbia
- US District Court, District of Columbia
- US District Court, District of Maryland
- US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- US District Court, District of Maryland, The Honorable Catherine C. Blake