Michael Mierzewski concentrates his practice on financial institutions and corporate and securities law. Prior to joining the firm, he was a law clerk with the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency in 1978. Mr. Mierzewski is a former Vice Chair of American Bar Association's Section of Antitrust Law Committee on Financial Markets and Institutions. In addition to bank merger and acquisition counseling, he routinely counsels clients on fair lending, Community Reinvestment Act, payment systems, enforcement, and general regulatory issues. In addition, he has conducted scores of sensitive internal investigations for a wide variety of financial services companies. Mr. Mierzewski also is a frequent author and lecturer on bank regulatory and bank antitrust issues.
- Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA): playing a major role onsite at the Agency; working closely with the Director and the United States Department of the Treasury; and preparing the agency for the imposition of the conservatorship over Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.
- Major credit card company on antitrust litigation, regulatory, and corporate matters.
- Large national bank in connection with a referral to the United States Department of Justice (DOJ) based on allegations of unlawful discriminatory lending practices.
- National bank with respect to regulatory and other issues that arose in connection with a failed branch sale.
- Large national bank on appeal of the downgrade of a Community Reinvestment Act rating.
- Large mortgage loan originator in connection with state and federal inquiries into its mortgage lending practices.
- Large state-chartered bank in connection with a referral to the DOJ based on allegations of unlawful discriminatory lending practices.
- Large bank in connection with an investment in a failing thrift institution.
- Refund anticipation loan originator in extensive regulatory and corporate work.
- Large private bank in connection with a wide range of regulatory and trust matters.
Financial Services Regulation: Consumer Finance – Litigation (2012-2018)
Financial Services Regulation: Banking – Enforcement & Investigations (2006-2017)
"Washington, DC Lawyer of the Year" – Banking and Finance Law (2012)
- JD, Howard University School of Law, 1980
- BA, Catholic University of America, 1973
- District of Columbia
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Member, Exchequer Club of Washington DC