Alice Osman represents sovereign States and multi-national corporations in investor-State arbitrations and international commercial arbitrations. She has acted for clients in disputes under the major arbitral rules in a wide range of sectors, including energy, mining, telecoms, pharmaceuticals, and shipping.
Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Osman worked as a junior barrister in a leading New Zealand set of chambers. In this role, she acted on a variety of commercial law, public law, and competition law cases. Ms. Osman also spent two years as a judge's clerk at the High Court of New Zealand, assisting judges in both civil and criminal proceedings.
In addition to her arbitration practice, Ms. Osman has experience in public international law. Following her LL.M. studies, Ms. Osman worked as an intern advisor at the Permanent Mission of New Zealand to the United Nations. She also carried out research on international human rights law and disarmament law at an international NGO and Harvard Law School’s Armed Conflict and Civilian Protection Initiative.
- The Kingdom of Sweden in an investment treaty arbitration concerning the telecommunications sector (ICSID).
- European State in an ICC arbitration relating to a concession agreement.
- The Republic of Turkey in an investor-state arbitration brought by Akfel Commodities Pte. Ltd. and I-Systems Global B.V. (ICSID).
- Pharmaceutical company in an arbitration against a Malaysian company concerning a sales and supply agreement (LCIA, London).
- The Kingdom of Thailand in an investor-state arbitration initiated by Australian claimants in relation to a gold mining project (UNCITRAL).
- Heavy equipment manufacturer in an arbitration against a BVI company concerning the sale and charter of a drill ship (ad hoc, London).
International Arbitration (2022-2023)
- LL.M., Harvard Law School, 2017
- LL.B. (Hons), University of Otago New Zealand, 2012, First Class Honours
- B.A., Politics, University of Otago New Zealand, 2012
- Registered Foreign Lawyer, SRA
- High Court of New Zealand
- High Court of New Zealand, The Honourable Justice Rebecca Ellis
- High Court of New Zealand, The Honourable Justice Susan Thomas
- High Court of New Zealand, The Honourable Justice Ailsa Duffy
- High Court of New Zealand, Associate Judge David Abbott
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Pepperdine University