Karoline Phillips advises on both transactional and conduct-related UK and EU competition law, focusing in particular on EU and multi-jurisdictional merger control, abuse of dominance investigations, counselling on pricing and discounting strategies, and managing competition law compliance audits.
She has assisted multinational corporations operating in a variety of industries, including pharmaceutical, fast-moving consumer goods, agro-chemicals, energy, media, clothing, telecoms, and financial services, including Mondelēz International Inc. and General Electric. Most recently she represented Monsanto Company in its $66 billion acquisition by Bayer, assisting in obtaining antitrust clearances outside North America. She has also assisted a pharmaceutical client in an abuse of dominance investigation by dawn raid carried out by the Competition and Markets Authority. Ms. Phillips has extensively advised non-governmental organisations on a pro bono basis in devising competition law compliant initiatives and is experienced in delivering client-tailored training on UK and EU competition law compliance, particularly in the pharmaceutical sector.
Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Phillips worked in the field of academic research and has co-authored several peer-reviewed publications in developmental and clinical psychology. She holds a psychology degree from the University of Warwick.
- Monsanto Company in connection with its $66 billion acquisition by Bayer. One of the lead associates assisting with antitrust clearances outside North America, with a particular focus on obtaining approval from the European Commission. This complex case spanned over 20 months and involved more than 2,000 product markets reviewed by the European Commission following an in-depth review and extensive commitments. The transaction was reviewed and approved by the DOJ and almost 30 other antitrust enforcers worldwide.
- Mondelēz in obtaining Phase II merger clearance with disposals from the European Commission and several national competition authorities for its $3.9 billion investment in a coffee joint venture with D.E. Master Blenders.
- General Electric in the acquisition of Doosan's Heat Recovery Steam Generator Business.
- Mondelēz in the acquisition from Burton's Biscuit Company of the worldwide licence for Cadbury-branded biscuits.
- Legal Practice Course, College of Law (London), 2013
- Graduate Diploma in Law, College of Law (London), 2012
- BSc, Psychology, University of Warwick, 2010, First Class Honours
- England and Wales