Karoline Phillips advises on both transactional and conduct-related UK and EU competition law, focusing in particular on EU and multi-jurisdictional merger control, abuse of dominance investigations, counselling on pricing and discounting strategies, and managing competition law compliance audits.
She has assisted multinational corporations operating in a variety of industries, including pharmaceutical, fast-moving consumer goods, agro-chemicals, energy, media, clothing, telecoms, and financial services, including Monsanto Company, Mondelēz International Inc. and General Electric. She is currently representing Monsanto in the proposed acquisition by Bayer, with respect to obtaining antitrust clearances outside North America. She has also assisted a pharmaceutical client in an abuse of dominance investigation by dawn raid carried out by the Competition and Markets Authority. She has also extensively advised non-governmental organisations on a pro bono basis in devising competition law compliant initiatives and is experienced in delivering client-tailored training on UK and EU competition law compliance, particularly in the pharmaceutical sector.
Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Phillips worked in the field of academic research and has co-authored several peer-reviewed publications in developmental and clinical psychology. She holds a psychology degree from the University of Warwick.
- Monsanto Company in obtaining antitrust clearances outside North America in the proposed acquisition by Bayer (ongoing).
- Mondelēz in obtaining Phase II merger clearance with disposals from the European Commission and several national competition authorities for its $3.9 billion investment in a coffee joint venture with D.E. Master Blenders.
- General Electric in the acquisition of Doosan's Heat Recovery Steam Generator Business.
- Mondelēz in the acquisition from Burton's Biscuit Company of the worldwide licence for Cadbury-branded biscuits.
- Legal Practice Course, College of Law (London), 2013
- Graduate Diploma in Law, College of Law (London), 2012
- BSc, Psychology, University of Warwick, 2010,
First Class Honours
- England and Wales