Maxwell Preston is an experienced litigator with a focus on handling complex matters for industry-leading clients, including high-stakes trademark, patent, copyright, unfair competition, and general commercial litigation. In addition to litigating before juries and judges in federal courts, Mr. Preston also practices before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
Throughout his career, Mr. Preston has counseled clients on intellectual property strategy and related matters; handled a diverse caseload of intellectual property lawsuits; managed trademark clearance and registration efforts for a diverse portfolio of marks; prepared intellectual property licenses and agreements; and assisted in due diligence reviews.
Mr. Preston is a graduate of New York University School of Law, where he served as an Executive Editor of the New York University Journal of Legislation and Public Policy. He earned his BS in Computer Science from Duke University.
- Telecommunications companies in offensive and defense patent litigation regarding call processing systems.
- Footwear and apparel company in trademark prosecution, as well as in trademark oppositions commenced by competitors.
- Jeanswear designers in numerous lawsuits challenging use of copyrighted and trademarked designs.
- eReader manufacturer and retailer in patent litigation regarding its devices and related software.
- Book publisher and retailer in copyright infringement action relating to a series of puzzle books.
- Printing companies in patent litigations related to their printing processes and software.
- Fashion designer in trademark opposition proceeding commenced by the company that she founded and formerly owned.
- Luxury brand owner in a trademark counterfeiting and infringement action against prominent mid-tier brand and various licensees.
- JD, New York University School of Law, 2009
- BS, Computer Science, Duke University, 2004
- New York
- New Jersey
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- US Court of Federal Claims
- US District Court, Eastern District of New York
- US District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- US District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
- US District Court, District of New Jersey