Denis Rice was a founding partner of Howard Rice Nemerovski Canady & Falk, which combined in 2012 with then-Arnold & Porter. Mr. Rice has represented business clients in a broad spectrum of matters, ranging from antitrust and securities litigation to public and private financings. His clients have included companies engaged in banking, finance, corporate securities, brokerage, venture capital, real estate, software, architecture and design, and professional services. He has served on corporate boards, where he has addressed issues of corporate governance and liability of officers and directors. He counseled a three-person architectural firm over four decades through its growth into a 4600-person, worldwide entity.
Mr. Rice has been listed in Best Lawyers in America since 1985, most recently in seven different categories. Each year a single member of the California Bar is presented the Award for Lifetime Achievement in Business Law; Mr. Rice received this honor in 2009. He has taught American venture capital and cyberspace law in law schools in Russia and Poland, taught US corporate law to the Philippine Bar in Manila, and given a course in cyberspace law to the Supreme Court of Nepal. He serves as a panel arbitrator for the American Arbitration Association and the World Intellectual Property Organization in Geneva.
- Established new rule on interrelationship between antitrust law and trade secret law in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Corporate directors in enforcing corporate directors and officers insurance claims.
- World's largest architectural services corporation in developing an employee-ownership program.
- Structured the first Internet-based public offering of securities for financing a motion picture.
- US venture firm in handling venture financings of companies in Taiwan and China.
- Arbitrated multi-million dollar trade secret dispute involving telecommunication companies.
- Federal regulatory agency on matters involving corporate governance.
Panelist, American Bar Association Business Law Section
International Technology Law Association, Annual World Conference, San Diego
"San Francisco Lawyer of the Year" – Banking and Finance Law (2013)
Currently listed in seven categories: Banking and Finance Law; Commercial Litigation; Corporate Law; Financial Services Regulation Law; Information Technology Law; Litigation – Banking and Finance; and Securities/Capital Markets Law (1987-2018)
- JD, University of Michigan Law School, 1959, Order of the Coif
- AB, Princeton University Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, 1954, Phi Beta Kappa
- Supreme Court of the United States
- US District Court, Central District of California
- US District Court, Northern District of California
- US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- Launching Platoon Leader, US Army Antiaircraft Artillery
Past Member, American Bar Association Business Law Section Council
Co-Chair, Asia-Pacific Subcommittee, International Business Law Committee of ABA
Member (1993-1997) and Chair (1996-1997) California Committee on Administration of Justice
Judge Pro Tem, San Francisco Superior Court (1996-2013)
Member, Metropolitan Transportation Commission, 1978-1982
Member, San Francisco Bay Conservation & Development Commission, 1977-1984
Past Chair, American Bar Association Committee on Business Financing
Founding Chair, California State Bar Committee on Cyberspace Law (1997-2001)
Member, International Association of Privacy Professionals
Member, International Bar Association
Member, International Technology Law Association (Board of Directors, 2003-2009)
Former Editor, California State Bar Business Law News
Mayor (1970-72) and Councilmember (1968-72), City of Tiburon
Member (1977-1981) and President (1979-1980), Marin County Board of Supervisors
Metropolitan Transportation Commission, 1980-1983
San Francisco Bay Conservation and Development Commission, 1977-1982