Alan E. Rothman has extensive experience with the various facets of Multidistrict Litigation (MDL), class action, and individual mass tort product liability litigation. His recent experience includes federal-state coordination, negotiations with Plaintiffs' Steering Committees, motion practice, and argument of jurisdictional and coordination issues in federal and state courts. Alan also has extensive end-game strategy experience, including currently leading a team overseeing the settlement and litigation of remaining cases in a mass tort litigation. In addition to his broad experience with MDL, class action, removal, and venue issues, Alan regularly counsels clients with respect to corporate structure, successor liability, MMSEA compliance, and professional ethics issues.
Over the past several years, Alan has authored, or been quoted in, more than 40 articles regarding MDL practice and jurisdictional issues, and has presented more than half a dozen CLE programs. He is the author of the highly read, "And Now a Word from the Panel," a bi-monthly column in Law360 focusing on practice before the Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation. Alan previously served for six years as a member of the Product Liability Committee of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York and as Chairman of its Subcommittee on New York Coordinated Proceedings. He has also served as a member of the City Bar Association's Professional & Judicial Ethics Committee and currently serves as counsel to the firm's Professional Ethics Committee.
Mr. Rothman received his law degree from Columbia Law School, where he was a Notes Editor for the Journal of Transnational Law.
- JD, Columbia Law School, 1993, Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
- BA, Yeshiva University, 1990, summa cum laude, Valedictorian
- New York
- Supreme Court of the United States
- US District Court, Eastern District of New York
- US District Court, Northern District of New York
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
- US District Court, Western District of New York
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Product Liability Committee, Association of the Bar of the City of New York (2004-2010)
- Member, Professional & Judicial Ethics Committee, Association of the Bar of the City of New York (2001-2004)