Ronald Schechter has extensive experience in all aspects of government contracts law, with a particular emphasis on False Claims Act cases, fraud investigations, and suspension and debarment. He has represented clients in investigations involving the Department of Justice, the Defense Contract Audit Agency, and the Inspectors General and the Suspension and Debarment Offices of many agencies. Mr. Schechter also has assisted clients with regard to their obligations under the FAR mandatory disclosure rule. He has advised clients in the national security area, addressing government contracts issues unique to that area, including obtaining liability protection for their products and services. His experience includes litigation under the Administrative Procedure Act and the Freedom of Information Act.
Mr. Schechter has been a featured speaker at West Publishing's "Government Contracts Year in Review" and was a member of the ABA Task Force on Implementation of the Mandatory Disclosure Rule. Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Schechter served as a Trial Attorney for the US Department of Justice, Commercial Litigation Branch. He is a frequent lecturer and author on various subjects associated with government contracts and legal ethics.
- FedBid in investigating allegations of wrongdoing in a report by the VA Office of Inspector General and in responding to a notice of proposed debarment by the Air Force SDO. Negotiated an administrative agreement to resolve the proposed debarment in three and a half weeks.
- Airbus Defense and Space in convincing the Department of Justice not to intervene in a qui tam case and in persuading the relator to drop the case prior to our filing a motion to dismiss.
- Large technology services provider in two civil False Claims Act matters, one of which was a qui tam case. Based on our work, the Department of Justice declined to pursue both cases, and in the qui tam case, DOJ persuaded the relator to drop the matter all together.
- Numerous contractors in performing internal investigations regarding compliance with, e.g., GSA Supply Schedule pricing requirements, the False Claims Act, the Anti-Kickback Act, the Procurement Integrity Act, the Anti-Gratuities Act, and the Trade Agreements Act.
- AgustaWestland with regard to successfully resolving the termination for convenience of the presidential helicopter program.
- Defense contractor regarding an off-base after-hours shooting of Afghan civilians by subcontractor employees, including investigating the incident, dealing with the customer agency, and preparing for testimony before the Commission on Wartime Contracting.
- Trade association in preparing comments on proposed FAR mandatory disclosure rule on behalf of a trade association, and various clients in implementing compliance programs to conform to the final rule.
- Large pharmaceutical company in assessing and mitigating risks associated with sales of one of its products to the federal government for pandemic flu stockpiling purposes and in legislative efforts to obtain statutory protection for such sales.
- Raytheon Company in a series of precedent-setting cases establishing law fundamental to the Statute of Limitations.
- Wisconsin Physicians Service, The JBG Companies, Trammel Crow Company, and other clients in successful bid protests before the Government Accountability Office.
- JD, Georgetown University Law Center, 1976
- BA, Syracuse University, 1972
- District of Columbia
- Trial Attorney, Commercial Litigation Branch, US Department of Justice
- US District Court, District of Columbia, The Honorable Harold H. Greene
Arnold & Porter Kay Scholer's Ethics & Practice Committee
Member, Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer's Pro Bono Committee
Former chair, DC Bar Continuing Legal Education Committee
Member, CAIR Coalition Legal Advisory Board
Former member, ABA Task Force on Implementation of the Contractor Code of Business Ethics and Conduct and Mandatory Disclosure Rule
Member, Board of Directors of Kids In Need of Defense, Inc.
American Bar Association, Public Contract Law Section
- Member, Debarment and Suspension Committee
Member, Board of Directors of Forum Theatre