Harris Sherman is a retired partner who has represented clients in a wide range of natural resource issues including energy (both renewable and nonrenewable), water development, water quality, public lands, Native American projects, outdoor recreation and skiing, forestry, mining, and agriculture. He has pioneered methods to streamline environmental review and permitting processes at the federal, state and local levels. He also has played a central role in major infrastructure and real estate projects throughout the country. Mr. Sherman was the head of the firm's Denver Office from 1980 until 2000.
Mr. Sherman served as Under Secretary for Natural Resources and the Environment for the US Department of Agriculture (2009-2013) where he oversaw the US Forest Service and the Natural Resources Conservation Service. He was the USDA representative on numerous White House councils and initiatives including the US Tourism Task Force, the Advisory Council for Historic Preservation, America's Great Outdoors, and the Steering Committee on Federal Infrastructure Permitting.
During his career, he has twice served as Executive Director of the Colorado Department of Natural Resources and a cabinet member under two Colorado governors. In these posts, Mr. Sherman oversaw Colorado's water, energy, forestry, mining, wildlife, parks, and state land programs. He also has served as Chairman of the Colorado Oil & Gas Commission, Chairman of the Colorado Water Quality Control Commission, and Chairman of the Colorado Mined Land Reclamation Board. He has been Colorado's representative on a wide range of interstate commissions including the Western States Water Council, National Governors Association, and Western Governors' Association.
- LLB, Columbia Law School, 1967
- BA, Colorado College, 1964
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Under Secretary for Natural Resources and the Environment, US Department of Agriculture
- Executive Director, Colorado Department of Natural Resources
- Chairman, Colorado Oil & Gas Commission
- Chairman, Colorado Water Quality Control Commission
- Chairman, Colorado Mined Land Reclamation Commission
- Chairman, Colorado Interbasin Compact Commission
- Chairman, Governor's Forest Health Advisory Council
- Vice-Chairman, Colorado Commission on Indian Affairs
- Member, Western States Water Council
- Member, Colorado Groundwater Commission
- Member, Colorado Wildlife Commission
- Member, Colorado Water Conservation Board