Susan L. Shin is a trial lawyer and complex commercial litigator on behalf of public companies, financial institutions and other corporate clients in litigated disputes and class actions in federal and state courts and arbitrations.
In the last few years, Ms. Shin served as trial counsel in five trials to verdict in the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York, the most recent of which she served as lead trial counsel and achieved a full defense jury verdict. Ms. Shin also represents institutions and individual clients in government investigations and enforcement proceedings conducted by various federal and state regulatory and consumer protection agencies. She has handled complex financial litigation and regulatory enforcement matters involving mortgage and asset-backed securitizations, loan servicing, derivatives, auction rate securities, accounting, audits, books and records, compliance, disclosure, executive compensation, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, financial and other reporting. Ms. Shin also successfully defended clients against allegations of financial fraud, insider trading, inadequate internal controls and supervision, market manipulation, improper sales and trading practices, and breach of fiduciary duty. She also maintains an active pro bono litigation practice representing New York City charter schools in bringing and challenging actions involving charter school co-locations.
Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Shin served as a law clerk to the Honorable Raymond J. Dearie, US District Court, Eastern District of New York, from 2002-2003. Ms. Shin is a 2001 graduate of Columbia Law School where she was a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar. Prior to her legal career, Ms. Shin spent over four years at J.P. Morgan as an Associate in the bank's investment management business. She is a frequent CLE speaker and panelist on topics involving legal ethics, commercial and financial litigation and diversity. Ms. Shin is a past President of the Asian American Bar Association of New York.
- Court-appointed co-lead counsel in Multi-District Litigation (MDL), In re: Samsung Top-Load Washing Machine Marketing, Sales Practices And Products Liability Litigation, MDL No. 17-ml-2792-D (W.D. Okla.) on behalf of Samsung, Lowe’s, Best Buy and Sears in 26 putative class actions involving alleged violations of consumer protection statutes and other claims.
- Lead trial counsel on behalf of Wyckoff Heights Medical Center in an employment discrimination lawsuit in the Eastern District of New York. Achieved a full defense jury verdict.
- Defending Procter & Gamble in a national consumer class action in the Eastern District of New York.
- Trial counsel defending Barnes & Noble in a damages trial in the Southern District of New York resulting in negligible damages.
- Defeated multi-billion dollar claim alleging violations of the New Jersey Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organization Act and securities violations related to short selling of Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd.stock on behalf of prominent hedge fund defendant. Successfully defended appeal.
- Trial counsel defending Barnes & Noble in a copyright lawsuit resulting in a full defense jury verdict in the Southern District of New York.
- Defended an investment management firm specializing in the acquisition and resolution of distressed residential mortgages against allegations of improper servicing and management in a civil dispute with the FDIC.
- Trial counsel defending Barnes & Noble in a patent infringement lawsuit in the Southern District of New York.
- Trial counsel defending of bank defendant in an RMBS action brought by monoline insurer alleging representation and warranty breaches and improper servicing in the Southern District of New York.
- Represented large consumer bank in a whistleblower investigation by the OCC into residential mortgage loan servicing, modification and foreclosure practices and HAMP (Home Affordable Modification Program) compliance.
- Represented Adventis Health Systems in connection with Lehman Brothers bankruptcy.
- Represented claimant financial professional in a FINRA arbitration involving auction rate securities.
- Represented mutual fund management company in class and derivative actions involving allegations of market timing and late trading.
- Lead counsel on behalf of a hedge fund in a four-day AAA arbitration proceeding brought by investors.
- Represented plaintiff hedge fund in its lawsuit against an insurance/variable annuity company and its directors involving, inter alia, claims of securities price manipulation, breach of fiduciary duty, misappropriation of trade secrets and breach of contract.
- Represented plaintiff investment bank in a bench trial on breach of contract damages in the SDNY resulting in a multi-million dollar damages was award to client.
Institute of International Bankers, New York, NY
- JD, Columbia Law School, 2001, Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
- BA, Rutgers University, 1994
- New York
- US District Court, Eastern District of New York
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
- US District Court, Eastern District of New York, The Honorable Raymond J. Dearie