Gerald Sobel is an experienced litigator and mediator, whose practice was primarily focused in the areas of intellectual property, antitrust, and agreements.
Mr. Sobel litigated landmark and precedent-setting complex cases, including wins in antitrust and patent jury trials of record duration and at the appellate level. His clients included a significant number of the world's one hundred largest companies, in various technologies, among them pharmaceutical, biotech, electronic, computer, business equipment, communications, and aerospace.
To illustrate, he was lead counsel for Xoma in its win in the 3½-month jury trial (N.D. Cal.) against Centocor, the longest biotech patent infringement trial; he also represented Xerox in its win in a year-long jury trial against SCM (D. Conn.), defeating claims of monopolization of the office copier market based on alleged patent-based predatory acts. At the appellate level, he represented Pfizer in its win at the Federal Circuit against the University of Rochester, creating new law concerning patent validity.
Mr. Sobel has participated in mediations and arbitrations in significant litigations, typically patent, antitrust, trademark, and trade secret cases, as mediator or advocate. He is a mediator in the Southern District of New York Mediation program, and has been active at the Center for Public Resources and has published and lectured on ADR.
- JD, New York University School of Law, 1963, Hays Fellow
- MA, Economics, New School for Social Research, 1972
- BEE, Electrical Engineering, City College of The City University of New York, 1960
- New York
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
- US District Court, Eastern District of New York
- US District Court, Northern District of New York
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
- US Patent and Trademark Office
- Member, American Bar Association, Antitrust Section
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member, New York Intellectual Property Law Association
- Advisory Committee Member, Patent Litigation of the U.S. District Court in Delaware
- Advisory Committee Member, Engelberg Intellectual Property Institute at the NYU School of Law