Jay G. Strum focused on corporate and securities litigation, representing corporations, banks and investment banks, as well as their officers and directors, in a variety of adversarial actions. In addition to his recognized courtroom abilities, Mr. Strum was also known for his prowess in proceedings before regulatory bodies, including the SEC, NASD and various stock exchanges.
Mr. Strum’s clients were leaders in a wide spectrum of sectors in the US economy and included Mark Goodson of Goodson and Todman, creators of numerous TV game shows; former SEC chairman Richard Breeden in his capacity as (1) corporate monitor of WorldCom Inc., after charges of accounting fraud were made against the principal officers, and (2) trustee in Bennett Funding’s bankruptcy after the officers were accused of running a huge Ponzi scheme; Harry and Leona Helmsley in connection with litigations involving their hotels; Bankers Trust Company in various litigations; and Securities Investor Protection Corporation in litigation to recover money for defrauded investors.
After graduating from law school and serving on active duty in the US Army, Mr. Strum began his legal career as a trial attorney with the US Securities and Exchange Commission where he was involved in trying civil cases and assisting the United States Attorney in prosecuting criminal cases. Mr. Strum joined the firm in 1967 as an associate in the Litigation department. He became a partner in 1971 and retired in 2007.
- LLB, Harvard Law School, 1962
- BA, City College of New York, 1959,
magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa,
- New York
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- US Tax Court
- Supreme Court of the United States
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
- US District Court, Eastern District of New York
- Member, Board of Directors (2012-2015), Legal & By-Laws Committee (2015–2017), Finance Committee (2009-2012), and multiple other committees (Executive Committee Secretary and member, Grievance Committee chair, Legal & By-Laws Committee chair, Nominating Committee member, Membership Applications Committee member, and Capital Improvement Project Bank Finance Team member), The Club at Ibis
- Member, Board of Managers (2003–2011), Boulder Ridge Club Condominium