Monty Taylor's practice focuses on the representation of corporations, individuals, and governments in international arbitration proceedings. He has extensive experience representing clients in commercial and investment arbitrations in a wide range of sectors (including mining, pharmaceuticals, energy, banking and finance, and shipping) under the major arbitration rules. Mr. Taylor is recognised in leading directories as "a brilliant lawyer" (Who's Who Legal: Arbitration Future Leaders, 2020) who is "fiercely clever" (The Legal 500 UK, 2020) and "among the very top of his generation" (Chambers & Partners UK, 2020).
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Taylor served as Legal Counsel to the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID) at the World Bank in Washington, DC. As Legal Counsel, he acted as Secretary to the Tribunal on numerous ICSID Convention and Additional Facility arbitrations, which involved claims based on international investment treaties, national investment laws, and international contracts. Mr. Taylor previously practised in the dispute resolution group of a leading international firm in Sydney, where he represented clients in both arbitration and litigation proceedings.
Mr. Taylor is regularly invited to lecture in the field of international arbitration. He has presented lectures at, among other institutions, University of Cambridge, Harvard Law School, and Queen Mary University of London (School of International Arbitration). He also serves as Adjunct Professor of Public International Law at Pepperdine University.
- Turkish energy company in successfully obtaining an arbitration award of nearly US$800 million in an investor-state arbitration against the Islamic Republic of Pakistan (ICSID).
- The Republic of Bulgaria in successfully defeating an investor-state claim concerning the banking sector brought by State General Reserve Fund of the Sultanate of Oman (ICSID).
- White Industries Australia Limited in successfully obtaining an arbitration award against the Republic of India in an investor-state arbitration (UNCITRAL).
- The Republic of the Philippines in an investor-state arbitration brought by Shell Philippines Exploration B.V. (ICSID).
- The Kingdom of Thailand in an investor-state arbitration involving the mining sector brought by Kingsgate Consolidated Limited and Kingsgate Capital Pty Ltd (UNCITRAL).
- The Republic of Turkey in an investor-state arbitration brought by Akfel Commodities Pte. Ltd. and I-Systems Global B.V. (ICSID).
- The Republic of Peru in an investor-state arbitration involving the oil and gas sector brought by Worth Capital Holdings 27 LLC (ICSID).
International Arbitration: Commercial Arbitration (UK-wide) (2022)
"Associate to Watch"–International Arbitration: Commercial Arbitration (UK-wide) (2019-2020)
"He is brilliant — he is very hard-working, he understands what clients need in international cases..." "He is extraordinarily strong..." "Monty Taylor is fantastic. He has a clear head in terms of strategies, and he keeps that at the forefront of his mind."
- LLB, The University of Sydney, 2007, First Class Honours
- BA, The University of Sydney, 2005, First Class Honours
- Registered Foreign Lawyer, England
- Supreme Court of New South Wales, Australia
- Member, Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC) Reserve Panel of Arbitrators
- Member, ICCA Program Committee (Sydney 2018 Congress)
- Editorial Board Member, Arbitration - The International Journal of Arbitration, Mediation and Dispute Management