Monty Taylor's practice focuses on the representation of multinational corporations and sovereign States in international arbitration proceedings. Who's Who Legal: Arbitration (Future Leaders 2019) has recognized Mr. Taylor as a "Leading Individual" in the field of international arbitration, and has described him as "absolutely superb" and "a great advocate, beyond his years" who draws "high praise" for his reputation in investment treaty arbitration. Mr. Taylor is the only law firm associate in the United Kingdom ranked by Chambers & Partners (UK) for international commercial arbitration.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Taylor served as Legal Counsel to the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID) at the World Bank in Washington, DC. As Counsel, he acted as Secretary to the Tribunal on numerous ICSID Convention and Additional Facility arbitration proceedings, which involved claims based on international investment treaties, national investment laws, and international contracts. Mr. Taylor previously practised in the arbitration group of a leading international firm in Sydney, where he represented clients in both institutional and ad hoc arbitrations, including under the rules of the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL) and the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC).Mr. Taylor is regularly invited to lecture in the field of international arbitration. He has presented lectures at, among other institutions, University of Cambridge, Harvard Law School, and Queen Mary University of London (School of International Arbitration). He also serves as Adjunct Professor of Public International Law at Pepperdine University.
- Turkish energy company in successfully obtaining an arbitration award of nearly $800 million in an investor-state arbitration against the Islamic Republic of Pakistan (ICSID).
- The Republic of the Philippines in an investor-state arbitration involving a multi-billion dollar claim by Shell Philippines Exploration B.V. (ICSID).
- The Kingdom of Thailand in an investor-state arbitration involving the mining sector brought by Kingsgate Consolidated Limited and Kingsgate Capital Pty Ltd (UNCITRAL).
- The Republic of Bulgaria in an investor-state arbitration concerning the banking sector brought by State General Reserve Fund of the Sultanate of Oman (ICSID).
- White Industries Australia Limited in successfully obtaining an arbitration award in an investor-state arbitration against the Republic of India (UNCITRAL).
- LLB, The University of Sydney, 2007, First Class Honours
- BA, The University of Sydney, 2005, First Class Honours
- Registered Foreign Lawyer, England
- Supreme Court of New South Wales, Australia
- Member, Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC) Reserve Panel of Arbitrators
- Member, ICCA Program Committee (Sydney 2018 Congress)
- Editorial Board Member, Arbitration - The International Journal of Arbitration, Mediation and Dispute Management