Mike Trager is the founding Co-Chair of the firm's Securities Enforcement and Litigation Practice Group, and he served in that role for approximately two decades.
With more than 35 years of experience, Mr. Trager defends clients in governmental and regulatory investigations, conducts internal corporate investigations, defends securities litigation, and counsels on compliance, disclosure, corporate governance, and crisis management.
His clients include public companies, financial services and investment firms, accounting and law firms, boards and committees, officers and directors, and professionals.
Prior to entering private practice, Mr. Trager served in the SEC's Division of Enforcement in the Washington DC Headquarters, where he was responsible for conducting investigations.
- Public companies in SEC and DOJ investigations involving financial reporting, restatements, disclosure, internal controls, insider trading, whistleblowers, FCPA, and other issues.
- Public companies and other entities, along with boards and committees, in conducting internal investigations involving whistleblower allegations, FCPA issues, and other potential irregularities and misconduct.
- Investment banks, broker-dealers, investment advisers, asset management firms, and hedge funds in SEC and FINRA investigations involving trading, products, practices, supervision, management, and a range of regulatory issues.
- Private equity firms in SEC investigations involving trading and other issues.
- Big Four accounting firm in SEC and PCAOB investigations involving the audits and reviews of a variety of public companies.
- International law firm in Comptroller of the Currency, SEC, Congressional, and foreign governmental investigations involving financial transactions.
- Chief Executive Officer of a financial institution in SEC, DOJ, and state AG investigations involving derivative financial products.
- Chief Financial Officer of a public company in SEC, DOJ, and internal investigations involving financial reporting, accounting, and disclosure issues.
- Chairman of a public company in an SEC investigation involving insider trading.
- Appointed as the Independent Consultant to perform an internal review under the terms of a settlement between regulators and a global financial services firm.
Corporate Law (2007-2023)
Litigation – Securities (2007-2023)
Securities Regulation (2007-2023)
- JD, Boston University School of Law, 1985
- BA, Wesleyan University, 1981
- District of Columbia
- Division of Enforcement, US Securities and Exchange Commission
Mr. Trager publishes and speaks on governmental and internal investigations. He has served on the Distinguished Practitioners Council and the Board of Advisors of the Securities and Exchange Commission Historical Society, the Executive Council of the Federal Bar Association Securities Law Section, and Task Forces established by the American Bar Association and District of Columbia Bar to review the SEC's selective disclosure and insider trading rules.
In addition to his professional activities, Mr. Trager is a member of The Economic Club of Washington, DC. Previously, he served on the Board of Directors of The Washington Ballet, served on the Board of Directors of the Middleburg Film Festival, chaired the Law Firm Sponsors of the Children’s Law Center, chaired the Refugees International annual event, and chaired The Phillips Collection annual gala.