Mike Trager is the Co-Chair of the firm's Securities Enforcement and Litigation Practice Group.
With more than 30 years of experience, Mr. Trager defends clients in governmental and regulatory investigations, conducts internal corporate investigations, and counsels on compliance, disclosure, corporate governance, and crisis management.
His clients include public companies, financial services and investment firms, accounting and law firms, boards and committees, officers and directors, and professionals.
Prior to entering private practice, Mr. Trager served in the SEC's Division of Enforcement in Washington, DC, where he was responsible for conducting investigations and involved in representing the government in litigation.
Chambers USA has consistently ranked Mr. Trager as a leading nationwide securities regulation and enforcement lawyer and reports that he is "a top-notch SEC lawyer who is very savvy" and "widely seen as a go-to attorney for challenging regulatory and governmental investigations." According to Chambers, Mr. Trager is "at the top of his game," "a great strategist," and "a very effective advocate" who is "excellent" and "interested in coming to proactive solutions for the client." Chambers says he is "practical and responsive," has "a big-picture perspective" along with "great instincts, meticulous attention to detail and client care," and is "an exceptionally talented practitioner."
- Public companies in SEC and DOJ investigations involving financial reporting, restatements, disclosure, internal controls, insider trading, whistleblowers, FCPA, and other issues.
- Investment banks, broker-dealers, investment advisers, asset management firms, and hedge funds in SEC and FINRA investigations involving trading, products, practices, supervision, management, and a range of regulatory issues.
- Private equity firms in SEC investigations involving trading and other issues.
- Big Four accounting firm in SEC and PCAOB investigations involving the audits and reviews of a variety of public companies.
- International law firm in Comptroller of the Currency, SEC, Congressional, and foreign governmental investigations involving financial transactions.
- Chief Executive Officer of a financial institution in SEC, DOJ, and state AG investigations involving derivative financial products.
- Chief Financial Officer of a public company in SEC, DOJ, and internal investigations involving financial reporting, accounting, and disclosure issues.
- Chairman of a public company in an SEC investigation involving insider trading.
- Public companies and financial institutions, along with boards and committees, in conducting internal investigations involving whistleblower allegations, FCPA issues, and other potential irregularities and misconduct.
- Appointed as the Independent Consultant to perform an internal review under the terms of a settlement between regulators and a global financial services firm.
Chapter 29, NYSE: Corporate Governance Guide, White Page Ltd
Litigation – Securities (2007-2019)
Securities Regulation (2007-2019)
- JD, Boston University School of Law, 1985
- BA, Wesleyan University, 1981
- District of Columbia
- Division of Enforcement, US Securities and Exchange Commission
Mr. Trager publishes and speaks on investigations. He serves on the Board of Advisors of the Securities and Exchange Commission Historical Society and the Executive Council of the Federal Bar Association Securities Law Section. Mr. Trager served previously on Task Forces established by the American Bar Association and District of Columbia Bar to review the SEC’s selective disclosure and insider trading rules.
In addition to his professional activities, Mr. Trager is a member of The Economic Club of Washington, DC. Previously, he served on the Board of Directors of The Washington Ballet, served on the Board of Directors of the Middleburg Film Festival, chaired the Law Firm Sponsors of the Children’s Law Center, chaired the Refugees International annual event, and chaired The Phillips Collection annual gala.