John Ulin is a leader in the intellectual property bar and a recognized trial lawyer, concentrating on copyright and trademark litigation.
Mr. Ulin's copyright clients include major television networks and movie studios, large music publishers, jeans wear designers, toy companies and the company that licenses the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. He earned recognition for his role in the litigation against television streaming services Aereo and FilmOn, which led to important victories, including at the Supreme Court in 2014.
Mr. Ulin has litigated more than 200 trademark cases throughout the country and first-chaired five recent successful trials. His trademark clients include several of the world's leading brand owners. In addition to litigation, he counsels clients in creative strategies for trademark enforcement and counterfeit prevention.
Mr. Ulin is a frequent speaker on copyright and trademark, including at leading law schools. He was recognized by the Daily Journal as one of the "Top Intellectual Property Lawyers" in California for 2014 and 2015. He serves on the executive committee of the University of Southern California Intellectual Property Institute and chairs its copyright committee.
Prior to entering private practice, Mr. Ulin served as judicial law clerk to the Hon. Wm. Matthew Byrne, Jr., US District Court for the Central District of California (1992-93); and the Hon. Ferdinand F. Fernandez, US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (1993-94).
- Advised media company about enforcement options against entity seeking to stream television network broadcasts over the Internet without authorization.
- Developed anti-counterfeiting program for international manufacturer of industrial chemicals and water treatment systems.
- Advised major sports leagues on enforcement options against websites that facilitate unauthorized streaming of live broadcasts of sporting events over the Internet.
InsideNGO Annual Conference
- LLM, Harvard Law School, 1995
- JD, University of California, Los Angeles School of Law, 1992, Order of the Coif
- AB, Brown University, 1987, with honors
- US District Court, Central District of California
- US District Court, Eastern District of California
- US District Court, Northern District of California
- US District Court, Southern District of California
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- US District Court, Central District of California, The Honorable William Matthew Byrne, Jr.
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, The Honorable Ferdinand F. Fernandez
- Member, American Bar Association
- Board of Governors, Association of Business Trial Lawyers (2005–07)
- Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Board of Directors, ACLU Foundation of Southern California (2011–present)
- Board of Directors, California Common Cause (2002–Present)
- Camp Dudley Board of Managers (2003–07; Executive Committee 2004–07)
- Board of Directors, Constitutional Rights Foundation (2007–08)
- Board of Directors, Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles (2004–Present)