Brian Vaca's practice focuses on advising foreign sovereigns and corporate clients in investment and commercial disputes. Mr. Vaca's experience includes investment arbitrations before the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID) and under the UNCITRAL Rules, as well as in commercial arbitrations before the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC). These cases have spanned various substantive areas, including energy, infrastructure, sovereign debt, telecommunications, banking and trademark disputes, among others.
A native of the US and Ecuador, Mr. Vaca is fluent in English and Spanish. Mr. Vaca's experience in arbitration disputes is supplemented by a master's degree in International Arbitration from the University of Miami School of Law, where Mr. Vaca worked closely with some of the most prominent scholars of the field. Mr. Vaca also has experience in domestic litigation and maintains an active pro bono practice.
- Represented the Republic of Panama, at ICSID, in an investment dispute concerning intellectual property rights.
- Representing the Republic of Colombia, at ICSID and the PCA, in two investment disputes concerning the banking sector.
- Representing the Republic of Peru, at ICSID, in an investment dispute concerning the hydroelectric power sector.
- Representing a South American natural gas company in a contract dispute before the ICC.
- Representing the Republic of Panama, at ICSID, in an investment dispute concerning power transmission lines.
- Represented the Republic of Peru in a UNCITRAL Rules dispute concerning the issuance of land bonds.
- Represented the operator of an airport in a dispute concerning penalties issued by the local government.
- Represented a European construction company in a dispute concerning the expansion of the Panama Canal.
- Representing a class of plaintiffs in a dispute relating to the COVID-19 pandemic and a water crisis, concerning unhygienic conditions and inadequate health protocols at a public psychiatric hospital.
- LLM, International Arbitration, University of Miami School of Law, 2016
- JD, University of Miami School of Law, 2016, honors
- BA, Florida International University, 2013
- District of Columbia