Louis van der Werff advises clients on EU and international competition law and EU sanctions and export control matters. His competition law work focuses on antitrust aspects of mergers and acquisitions, cartel investigations, and antitrust compliance. Mr van der Werff has represented clients across a range of industries including pharmaceuticals and medical devices, publishing, airlines (with a focus on MRO activities), shipping, information technology and fast moving consumer goods.
Mr. van der Werff also regularly advises clients on EU sanctions and export controls, including in rapidly changing regulatory environments, especially regarding EU sanctions on Russia.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. van der Werff worked in the competition law group at a leading US law firm and has also undertaken a traineeship at the European Commission (DG Competition).
Mr. van der Werff is fluent in French, Dutch, Spanish, and English.
- Pfizer in relation to the spin-off and combination with Mylan NV of Pfizer's established medicines division Upjohn.
- Pfizer in relation to its joint venture with GSK to combine the two companies' consumer healthcare businesses worldwide, securing merger control clearances from the EU Commission and antitrust authorities outside the US.
- A fast moving consumer goods company, in handling a dawn raid by DG COMP officials.
- Shipping company in defending various claims in both the High Court and Competition Appeal Tribunal relating to the maritime car carriers cartel.
- Global pharmaceutical company in relation to the competition law compliance of pricing arrangements.
- Numerous companies across sectors in providing ongoing guidance and counseling on compliance with EU sanctions and export controls.
- A specialist investment management firm based in the UK in relation to EU sanctions advice and to receive positive decisions from competent authorities of different EU Member States.
- LL.M., Competition Law, King's College London, 2017
- Masters in Globalisation and Law, Corporate and Commercial Law, Maastricht University, 2015
- LL.B., European Law, Maastricht University, 2014
- Brussels, Belgium