William Voth concentrates his practice on mass tort, consumer, fraud, and product liability litigation. Cases include defense of False Claims Act suits, medical monitoring claims, class actions and other aggregate litigation, governmental cost-recovery suits, public nuisance claims, market share, conspiracy, concert of action, and other industry-wide liability theories. As examples of such representations, he has represented clients in False Claims Act litigation, defended governmental and private claims of injury from toxic substances in federal and state trial and appellate courts throughout the country, and briefed cutting edge class certification, removal, and causation issues.
Pro bono work includes constitutional challenge to indigent defense system in Mississippi Supreme Court, death penalty appeal in Georgia Supreme Court, and representation of charter school parents.
- Defense trial verdicts in governmental public nuisance suits in California and Rhode Island and in consolidated personal injury suits in Wisconsin.
- Class certification denials in consumer protection act, economic injury, property damage, and medical monitoring cases in multiple jurisdictions.
- False Claims Act lawsuit against government computer services contractor by US Attorney for the Southern District of New York and New York Attorney General.
- Defense of public nuisance abatement claims by Pennsylvania counties.
- Dismissal of multiple New Jersey city/county environmental contamination suits seeking abatement and funding of government programs, affirmed in New Jersey Supreme Court.
- Dismissal of suits by Ohio Attorney General and Ohio municipalities seeking housing abatement and health care expenditures.
- Pro bono trial and appellate counsel in challenge to Mississippi state criminal indigent defense system.
- Pro bono counsel for Bronx charter school and parents opposing motion to preliminarily enjoin co-location in underutilized public school building.
- JD, Harvard Law School, 1980, cum laude
- BA, Beloit College, 1977
- New York
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- US District Court, Eastern District of New York
- US District Court, Southern District of New York