William Voth represents commercial clients in complex lawsuits by governmental and private plaintiffs, including class actions and other aggregate litigation, claims of personal injury, property damage or economic injury from harmful products or toxic substances, and statutory and common law fraud claims. Examples of such representations include successful defense of governmental public nuisance actions, False Claims Act suits, and cases seeking to impose industry-wide liability on market share, conspiracy, and concert of action theories. He has litigated in federal and state trials and appellate courts throughout the country, and briefed cutting-edge class certification, removal, and causation issues.
Mr. Voth's pro bono work includes representing members of an Afghan refugee family in asylum application proceedings, a constitutional challenge to a state's indigent defense counsel funding system, representation of Bronx parents in a suit compelling agencies to comply with state law allowing charter schools to use underutilized facilities, and a petition for compassionate release of a prisoner with a preexisting medical condition because of COVID-19 risk.
- Atlantic Richfield Co., as member of the trial team in four multiweek governmental or private plaintiff lead paint trials in California, Rhode Island, and Wisconsin, all resulting in judgment for our client. E.g., Burton v. American Cyanamid, et al., 07-CV-303 (E.D. Wisc.).
- Atlantic Richfield Co., obtained case-ending victories on pleading or summary judgment motions in hundreds of personal injury, property damage, or public nuisance matters in state and federal jurisdictions throughout the country.
- Atlantic Richfield Co., as appellate counsel in a dozen cases affirming summary judgment or other dismissal on motion of claims by governmental and private plaintiffs in lead paint litigation, including victories in the highest courts of Illinois, Maryland, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania and the federal Courts of Appeals for the First, Third, and Fifth Circuits. E.g., Lewis v. LIA, et al., 2020 IL 124107 (Illinois Supreme Court).
- Computer services provider in litigating False Claims Act suit by US Attorney's Office and New York Attorney General against government contractor, settled for small fraction of initial demand.
- Consumer products company as in court legal issues/appellate counsel during numerous personal injury/wrongful death trials in Florida state courts.
- Welding rods manufacturers in obtaining summary judgment for group of defendants sued on collective liability theories in multidistrict litigation for injury from occupational exposure to manganese.
- JD, Harvard Law School, 1980, cum laude
- BA, Beloit College, 1977
- New York
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- US District Court, Eastern District of New York
- US District Court, Southern District of New York