Daniel Waldman is the head of the Derivatives practice group. Mr. Waldman is active in representing clients in investigations by the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC). He also represents exchanges, brokers, investment funds, and other market participants in regulatory matters before the CFTC and with respect to derivatives legislation before Congress. Mr. Waldman also continues to handle complex litigation in the areas of antitrust, securities, and derivatives law.
From 1996 to 1999, Mr. Waldman served as General Counsel for the CFTC, the federal governmental agency that oversees the futures and commodity option markets. At the CFTC, his responsibilities included managing litigation at the trial and appellate levels, advising the Commission on regulatory and adjudicatory matters, and representing the CFTC staff on the President's Working Group on Financial Markets.
Mr. Waldman clerked for Judge William O. Norris on the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. He is a 1980 graduate of Columbia University School of Law, where he was an Editor of the Columbia Law Review.
In 2012, Mr. Waldman was a Lecturer in Law at the Harvard Law School. He is an adjunct faculty professor at The George Washington University School of Law where he teaches courses on derivatives regulation and energy and commodities law.
- Clearing house and exchange in connection with a CFTC investigation into various trading activities.
- Several energy traders in a price manipulation investigation.
- Global food company in a CFTC enforcement investigation.
- Major broker-dealer in an investigation relating to treasury market trading.
- Hedge fund in an investigation into alleged manipulation in the futures and repo markets.
- Major utility in an investigation into false price reporting in the natural gas market.
- Energy trading firm in an investigation into price manipulation.
- Interest rate trader in an investigation relating to benchmarks.
- JD, Columbia Law School, 1980
- BA, Harvard University, 1977
- District of Columbia
- General Counsel, Commodity Futures Trading Commission
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, The Honorable William A. Norris