Dr. Weger advises entrepreneurs and high-net-worth individuals in connection with business restructurings and tax optimized wealth and estate planning. He also represents his clients in all tax and criminal tax law proceedings, in disputes with the tax authorities, in tax audits as well as in proceedings before German tax courts, including the German Federal Tax Court (Bundesfinanzhof).
As a certified tax lawyer, he focuses on national and international tax law as well as corporate and capital markets law. Furthermore, Dr. Weger specializes on all tax law aspects of restructuring and advising on corporate law issues relating to national and international M&A transactions, and the restructuring of partnerships or corporations.
Dr. Weger has also extensive experience in advising national and international enterprises, respectively financial investors, as well as investment banks in real estate investments, distressed debt and non-performing loan investments, and factoring as well as securitization.
Dr. Weger was recommended by Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers for Business (2012, 2013 and 2014) as a leading tax practitioner. "He is widely recognized for his expertise in domestic and international tax law, as well as corporate and capital markets." Clients describe him as "creative, pragmatic, customer-focused and flexible", "very available and reachable if you have any questions or need support." Furthermore Dr. Weger has been nominated by Chambers Europe: Europe's Leading Lawyers for Business (2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014) where he is characterized as a "charismatic, intelligent and creative" practitioner with impressive judgment on tax questions."Clients say they can engage him in frank discussions concerning a vast range of issues." Nationally, Dr. Weger is recommended in JUVE Steuern 2018 as one of the leading German tax litigation lawyers. Competitors say he is visible in several high profile tax controversy cases.
Dr. Weger regularly publishes articles on tax and corporate law, and is a lecturer at the European Business School in Oestrich-Winkel.
- 300 private clients (approximately) in connection with their voluntary tax disclosures in Germany and all related personal income tax issues, investment tax law, as well as ancillary business and trade tax issues.
- Successful representation of a real estate company in proceedings before the German Federal Tax Court in connection with changes in the shareholder structure of the partnership and so-called RETT blocker structures with enforcement for repayment of a six-digit amount.
- IT corporation in day-to-day tax compliance matters.
- Leading European IT distributor in the structuring and the contractual implementation of a factoring club deal with a transaction volume of €235 million.
- Non-EU IT corporation on how to comply with various VAT regulations in several EU member states.
- Real estate company in connection with the reorganization of the client’s real estate business including development of a tax efficient corporate and finance structure.
- Private individual on the successful termination of major tax proceedings in relation to tax evasion charges of €26.25 million in unpaid company taxes.
- Real estate investment company in all tax audit proceedings.
- UHNWIs in connection with criminal tax proceedings based on the purchase of tax CDs by the German Tax Authorities.
Chambers Global, Tax (2012, 2013, 2014)
Chambers Europe (2011, 2012, 2013, 2014)
- Dr. iur., University of Wuerzburg, 2004
- Second German State Exam, Bavaria, 2001
- First German State Exam, Universität Würzburg, 1998
- German Attorney, authorized to represent before all German Courts (except for the Federal Court of Justice in civil matters) and before the courts of the European Union.
- Member, International Fiscal Association
- Member, Association of Certified Tax Lawyers
- Member, Association of Hesse Tax Advisors
- Member, German Tax Law Association
- Member, German Corporate Law Association