Dr. Weger advises entrepreneurs and high-net-worth individuals in connection with business reorganization and tax optimized wealth and estate planning. He also represents his clients in all tax and criminal tax law proceedings, in disputes with the tax authorities, in tax audits as well as in proceedings before German tax courts, including the German Federal Tax Court (Bundesfinanzhof). Additionally, Dr. Weger represents senior management members of financial institutions in connection with criminal law investigations relating to so-called "cum-ex" matters.
Dr. Weger has been recommended by Chambers Global and Chambers Europe as a leading tax practitioner. "He is widely recognized for his expertise in domestic and international tax law, as well as corporate and capital markets." Clients describe him as "creative, pragmatic, customer-focused and flexible," "very available and reachable if you have any questions or need support." He is characterized as a "charismatic, intelligent and creative" practitioner with impressive judgment on tax questions. "Clients say they can engage him in frank discussions concerning a vast range of issues." Nationally, Dr. Weger is recommended in JUVE Steuern as one of the leading German tax litigation lawyers and in JUVE Handbook in the field of criminal tax law. Competitors say he is visible in several high profile tax controversy cases.
Dr. Weger regularly publishes articles on tax and corporate law, and is a lecturer at the European Business School in Oestrich-Winkel.
- Individuals: criminal tax investigations in relation to "cum-ex" transactions.
- 300 private clients (approximately): voluntary tax disclosures in Germany and all related personal income tax issues, investment tax law, as well as ancillary business and trade tax issues.
- Real estate company: proceedings before the German Federal Tax Court in connection with changes in the shareholder structure of the partnership and so-called RETT blocker structures with enforcement for repayment of a six-digit amount.
- IT corporation: day-to-day tax compliance matters.
- Leading European IT distributor: structuring and contractual implementation of a factoring club deal with a transaction volume of EUR 235 million.
- Non-EU IT corporation: compliance with various VAT regulations in several EU member states.
- Real estate company: reorganization of the client's real estate business including development of a tax efficient corporate and finance structure.
- Private individual: successful termination of major tax proceedings in relation to tax evasion charges of EUR 26.25 million in unpaid company taxes.
- Real estate investment company: comprehensive tax audit proceedings.
- UHNWIs: criminal tax proceedings based on the purchase of tax CDs by the German Tax Authorities.
Chambers Global, Tax (2012, 2013, 2014)
- PhD (Dr. iur.), University of Wuerzburg, 2004
- Second State Exam, Bavaria, 2001
- First State Exam, University of Wuerzburg, 1998
- German Attorney, authorized to represent before all German Courts (except for the Federal Court of Justice in civil matters) and before the courts of the European Union.
- Member, International Fiscal Association
- Member, Association of Certified Tax Lawyers
- Member, Association of Tax Advisors in Hesse
- Member, German Tax Law Association
- Member, German Corporate Law Association
- Lecturer, European Business School in Oestrich-Winkel