Rob Weiner has significant experience as a trial lawyer, appellate advocate, and legal strategist in complex litigation. He is skilled in developing creative legal approaches to bring cases to a quick, cheap and successful resolution. Mr. Weiner’s long experience representing business and sovereign clients in litigation, and his three tours of duty as a government lawyer, have honed his ability to deal with the regulatory, tactical, and constitutional issues arising when the federal government is, or may become, a party in litigation. From 2010-2012, Mr. Weiner was Associate Deputy Attorney General at the US Department of Justice, where his principal responsibility was to oversee the defense of the Affordable Care Act. He also handled sensitive negotiations with a foreign government involving bank secrecy, and dealt with or headed-off difficult issues across the range of the Department’s matters. Mr. Weiner also has served as Senior Counsel in the White House Counsel’s Office, and as an Associate Independent Counsel. He began his career as a law clerk for The Honorable Henry J. Friendly and for Justice Thurgood Marshall.
At the firm, Mr. Weiner has litigated major administrative and constitutional cases; served as national coordinating and trial counsel in product liability and toxic tort cases; represented clients in media-intensive Congressional regulatory, criminal, and disciplinary investigations; and was lead counsel for the State of Israel in litigation involving national security policies. In addition, clients frequently seek him out to author briefs in the US Supreme Court and other forums.
Mr. Weiner also serves as Senior Legal Consultant on Voting Rights at the Campaign Legal Center.
- Sorrell v. IMS Health, Inc. Litigated in the District Court this First Amendment challenge to a Vermont law restricting pharmaceutical marketing and prevailed before the Court of Appeals in a ruling the Supreme Court affirmed.
- Lead counsel in First Amendment challenge to FDA guidance on changes in product labeling.
- Counsel to head of federally-related entity in investigation by Inspector General and Congress.
- Counsel to federal appointee on Ethics in Government Act.
- Filed amicus briefs for the Product Liability Advisory Council, Families USA, Blue Cross Blue Shield, the Leadership Conference on Civil Rights, the National Women's Law Center, the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Former Judges and Justice Department Officials, Police Chiefs, Legal Historians, and the Health Insurance Association in the US Supreme Court and other appellate courts.
- JD, Yale Law School, 1977
- AB, Princeton University, 1974, summa cum laude
- District of Columbia
- New York
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Associate Deputy Attorney General, US Department of Justice
- Senior Counsel, White House Counsel's Office
- Law Clerk, Judge Henry Friendly, US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- Law Clerk, Justice Thurgood Marshall, US Supreme Court
- Supreme Court of the United States, The Honorable Thurgood Marshall
- United States Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, The Honorable Henry J. Friendly
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Georgetown University Law Center (2014-Present)
- Chair, Civil Rights and Social Justice, American Bar Association (2017-2018)
- President (1995-96), General Counsel (1994-95), District of Columbia Bar
- President, District of Columbia Bar Foundation (2005-2008)
- Chair, Pro Bono Committee, District of Columbia Bar (2000-2002)
- Member, Board of Governors, American Bar Association (2008-2011)
- DC State Delegate, American Bar Association (2015-Present)
- Member, Standing Committee on the Federal Judiciary, American Bar Association (2015-2016)
- Chair, Working Group on Improving Trust in the Justice System, American Bar Association (2017-present)
- Chair, Standing Committee on Pro Bono and Public Service, American Bar Association (2000-2002)
- Member, Commission on Women in the Profession, American Bar Association (2005-2008)
- Chair, Standing Committee on Pro Bono Legal Services, Judicial Conference of the District of Columbia Circuit (1996-1997)
- Member, American Law Institute
- Board of Directors and Member, Case Selection Committee, Product Liability Advisory Council (PLAC)
- National Health Law Project, Chair (2015-2020)
- US Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit Advisory Committee on Procedures (2008-2014)
- Mediator, US Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit Appellate Mediation Project
- US Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit Advisory Committee on Judicial Conduct