Dr. Xianfeng Morgan Xu advises biotech and life sciences clients on their intellectual property (IP) and transactions needs. His practice focuses on all aspects of patent lifecycle management and IP-centric agreement negotiations. Dr. Xu has close to a decade of experience in US patent prosecution, global patent procurement, post-grant proceedings, and IP landscape counseling. His transactions experience ranges from multi-billion dollar collaboration agreements, sponsored research agreements, patent license agreements, master supply agreements, to materials transfer agreements. He also assists clients with patent litigations, M&A diligence, freedom-to-operate and invalidity opinions, and FDA and USDA regulatory matters.
Dr. Xu has worked with technologies from fields such as immuno-oncology, gene editing, microbiome, cell and gene therapy, glycobiology, diagnostics, next-gen sequencing, metagenomics, small molecule drugs, bioenergy, medical devices, and agricultural breeding and biotech engineering. His therapeutics-related experience spans the full spectrum of modalities including antibodies, Fc fusions, antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs), proteolysis targeting chimera (PROTAC), small RNA, CAR-T, and viral vectors.
In addition to his legal career, Dr. Xu has over 10 years of laboratory research experience focusing on molecular cell biology and developmental genetics. Before joining the firm, he conducted postdoctoral research at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory studying cell-to-cell communication in plant stem cell signaling. He published as the lead author in journals such as Science, Current Biology, PNAS, and Plant Cell, and wrote review articles for Trends in Plant Science and Current Opinion of Plant Biology.
Dr. Xu is bilingual in English and Chinese (Mandarin). He often collaborates with Arnold & Porter's Shanghai colleagues in cross-border matters. He additionally maintains an active pro bono practice centered around assisting low-income immigrants and social entrepreneurs.
- Developed and managed a patent portfolio of over 300 cases in microbiome-based therapy through the genesis of a leading clinical-stage biotech startup from a VC-backed single-physician team.
- Advised an agribusiness multinational in patent matters related to all aspects of crop breeding and biotechnology.
- Advised a leading tobacco company in IP and diligence related to biotech engineering for harm reduction and trait development.
- Advised a public clinical-stage biotech company developing immunotherapies for cancer and inflammatory diseases in IP diligence and transactional matters.
- Advised an emerging biotech company developing precision diagnostics technologies in patent prosecution, IP strategies, and transactional matters.
- Advised a China-based global biopharma company developing immune-oncology products in IP strategies and transactional matters.
- Advised multiple large biopharma companies in BPCIA-related post-grant proceedings at the USPTO, including inter partes review, post-grant review, and ex parte reexamination.
- Advised a public clinical-stage biotech company developing immunotherapies for cancer and infectious diseases in developing global IP protection and China partnership strategies.
- Advised an emerging start-up company in IP protection of its groundbreaking technologies to address gene and cell therapy manufacturing challenges.
- JD, The George Washington University Law School, with honors
- PhD, Plant Biology, The Ohio State University
- BS, Biotechnology, Peking University
- District of Columbia
- US Patent and Trademark Office
- Chinese (Mandarin)