Charles Yi brings to his practice a deep understanding of the financial services and legislative sectors, having served as General Counsel of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) from 2015 to 2019. In that role, he was involved in major banking policy initiatives and legislation as well as the implementation of related rulemaking. Mr. Yi also had supervisory responsibility over FDIC enforcement and litigation activity. In addition, he served on the FDIC's fintech steering committee, and established a fintech working group within the Legal Division. As FDIC General Counsel, Mr. Yi served as Chairman of the Legal Advisory Group of the Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (FFIEC) and as a government member of the Administrative Conference of the United States (ACUS).
Mr. Yi's experiences on Capitol Hill include serving as staff director and chief counsel on the Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs responsible for all issues under the committee's jurisdiction (including banking, securities, insurance, and housing finance); chief counsel and deputy staff director of the Senate Banking Committee; and counsel for the Committee on Financial Services of the US House of Representatives. He also served as deputy assistant secretary for banking and finance at the US Treasury Department.
While at the House Financial Services Committee, Mr. Yi worked on banking and insurance issues and participated in the creation of the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) during the height of the financial crisis. And during his tenure at the Senate Banking Committee and the Treasury, he was instrumental in the creation and implementation of the Dodd-Frank Act.
While serving as senior staff on the Senate Banking Committee, Mr. Yi led the reauthorization of the Terrorism Risk Insurance Act (TRIA), Ex-Im Bank, and the National Flood Insurance Program, and helped to draft and shepherd the passage of the Credit CARD Act.
Prior to his public service, Mr. Yi was in private practice where he focused on M&A and regulatory work for clients in the financial services industry. He also served for five years in the US Army as Captain in the Armored Cavalry.
- JD, Columbia Law School
- MPA, Princeton University School of Public and International Affairs
- MA, Bowie State University
- BS, University of California, Berkeley
- District of Columbia
- New York
- General Counsel, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation
- Staff Director and Chief Counsel, United States Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs
- Chief Counsel and Deputy Staff Director, United States Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs
- Senior Policy Advisor and Counsel, United States Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs
- Deputy Assistant Secretary for Banking and Finance, United States Department of the Treasury
- Counsel, United States House Committee on Financial Services
- Captain, Armored Cavalry, United States Army