Jee Young You is a litigator who represents institutional and individual clients in class actions and other high-stakes commercial lawsuits. For more than ten years, Ms. You has represented a wide range of clients, including large financial institutions, corporate officers, high technology companies, and food and beverage companies. Ms. You has broad experience in a variety of areas, including securities fraud, consumer protection and banking regulations (Fair Lending, TILA/Regulation Z, FCRA, FDCPA, BSA/AML, and GLBA), class actions, and civil rights. Additionally, she has experience with regulatory, compliance, and investigative matters involving the OCC, the CFPB, the DOJ, and state attorneys general.
Prior to joining the firm, Ms. You was counsel at an international law firm, and was seconded to the in-house legal department of JPMorgan Chase Consumer & Community Banking, where she was a member of the Chase Initiatives investigations and regulatory enforcement group.
At the firm, Ms. You has helped cultivate the WomenConnect program, which provides a forum for San Francisco Bay Area women lawyers and senior-level clients to network and learn from each other. She is also a member of the board of the Justice & Diversity Center of The Bar Association of San Francisco.
Ms. You also maintains an active pro bono practice representing indigent individuals and public interest groups in civil rights matters, with a focus on LGBTQ, immigration, and benefits rights. She filed several amicus briefs in high-profile cases such as In re Marriage Cases and Perry v. Schwarzenegger before the California Supreme Court, Court of Appeals, and the US District Court for the District of California. Recently, she filed an action to enjoin the disruption of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (food stamp) benefits in the event of a government shutdown.
Ms. You is proficient in spoken and written Korean.
- Broker-Dealer Best Execution Litigation. Defense of broker-dealer Charles Schwab & Co. in class action alleging that Schwab failed to obtain best execution of equity trades. Currently pending in the Northern District of California. Motion to dismiss granted with leave to amend.
- Consumer Class Action for Mortgage Servicer and Originator. Successful defense of a large financial institution in more than 20 consumer class actions that arose as a fallout of the residential mortgage crisis relating to the institution's origination and servicing practices. Obtained dismissals or de minimis settlements. No class has ever been certified in any of these actions.
- Product Liability. Lead counsel in defense of large pharmaceutical manufacturer.
- Securities Broker-Dealer. Obtained dismissal on all claims in a class action alleging aiding and abetting and other securities violation by investors relating to a Ponzi-scheme orchestrated by a third party.
- Issuer and Underwriter of Securities. Represented large financial institutions in securities class actions arising from residential mortgage backed securities.
- JD, Harvard Law School, 2005
- BA, Columbia University, 2002, magna cum laude
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- US District Court, Central District of California
- US District Court, Northern District of California
- Immediate past president of Northern California's Harvard Law School Association, which consists of 4,000+ members in San Francisco and Silicon Valley. Current member of the executive committee.
- Member, Board of the Justice & Diversity Center, The Bar Association of San Francisco
- Faculty, Federal Court Boot Camp, Pincus Professional Education, May 2016 and May 2017.