John Robinson litigates complex commercial disputes in state and federal courts across the country. His clients have included financial institutions, pharmaceutical companies, real estate owners and developers, government contractors, and individual corporate officers and directors.
Before joining the firm, he served as a law clerk to the Honorable Rosemary S. Pooler of the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit and the Honorable Joan B. Gottschall of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. He graduated, magna cum laude, from the University of Michigan Law School, where he was a student attorney in the Michigan Innocence Clinic and served as Managing Executive Editor of the University of Michigan Journal of Law Reform. He graduated from Yale College, where he was president of the Yale Mock Trial Association.
- Pharmaceutical manufacturer in Administrative Procedure Act challenge brought in the US District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania. Obtained summary judgment on behalf of client.
- BP in multiple Fifth Circuit appeals arising out of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.
- Bulgarian bank in adversary proceeding alleging fraudulent transfers in the US Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Texas. Obtained dismissal of complaint seeking over $55 million in damages.
- Pennsylvania voters in successful gerrymandering challenge to Pennsylvania’s congressional districts before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court.
- Aviation component manufacturer in Fifth Circuit appeal successfully defending award of summary judgment in products liability action.
- Pharmaceutical trade association in federal court litigation challenging constitutionality of state law.
- Nonprofit Organization in Ninth Circuit appeal successfully defending denial of Anti-SLAPP motion.
- UAE-based owner and developer of luxury hotels in arbitration with branded management company and services provider.
- Former CEO in adversary proceeding alleging breach of fiduciary duty in the US Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware.
- Commercial landlord in Fourth Circuit appeal concerning novel issue of Maryland real property law.
- Honeywell International in CERCLA contribution and cost recovery actions in the Northern District of New York.
- Major property development company in dispute with District of Columbia over termination of ground leases.
- Commercial office building owners in multiple transfer and recordation tax disputes against the District of Columbia.
- Individuals in commercial dispute involving sale of membership interest in LLC in Fairfax County Circuit Court.
- Private equity firm in state court litigation and arbitration arising out of termination of former CEO.
- Nonprofit organization in copyright dispute in the US District Court for the District of Columbia.
- North Carolina voters in successful gerrymandering challenge to North Carolina’s state legislative districts.
- JD, University of Michigan Law School, 2012, magna cum laude
- BA, Philosophy, Yale University, 2009
- District of Columbia
- New York
- US District Court, District of Columbia
- US District Court, District of Maryland
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
- US District Court, Eastern District of New York
- US District Court, Western District of New York
- US District Court, Northern District of New York
- US Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, The Honorable Rosemary S. Pooler
- US District Court, Northern District of Illinois, The Honorable Joan B. Gottschall