Our highly recognized Merger Review practice consistently wins praise from clients for our responsiveness, creativity, practicality, and deep understanding of the competition authorities around the globe. Our team's experience is unparalleled and characterized by the following:
- Industry-leading companies have chosen Arnold & Porter to secure competition law clearance for their most significant transactions, including GE, AT&T, Mondelēz, Novartis, Cisco, Altria, Boston Scientific, Kroger, Monsanto, Safran, and BP.
- Clients select us to handle their most strategic and challenging transactions. Our team handled 43 different transactions valued at over $1 billion in the past three years.
- We have handled 49 in-depth merger investigations in the last three years. Our deep understanding of the competition authorities and our frequent dealings with them provide us valuable insight and credibility to successfully secure worldwide approval of transactions in a cost-effective and seamless manner.
- Our team includes former government officials holding significant high-level posts, including the former Assistant Attorney General for Antitrust at the US Department of Justice (DOJ), two Directors of the Bureau of Competition at the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), Director-General for Competition of the European Commission (EC), Deputy Assistant Attorney General for Civil and Criminal Operations of the Antitrust Division, Deputy Director in the Bureau of Competition at the FTC, two Chiefs of Staff at the Antitrust Division, Assistant Director of the FTC's Bureau of Competition, and Head of the Food and Pharmaceuticals and Financial Services Units in the European Commission's Competition Directorate General.
- Clients from virtually all industries have engaged our antitrust practice—including biotechnology, computer and information technology, consumer products and services, aerospace and defense, chemicals, energy, food, financial services, healthcare, industrial equipment, media, pharmaceuticals, retail, and telecommunications, among many others.
- With antitrust and competition attorneys based in DC, New York, London, Frankfurt, and Brussels, our firm frequently represents global companies facing multi-jurisdictional merger investigations. We also have established an informal network of leading antitrust specialists from more than 40 key jurisdictions which enables us to provide a "one-stop shop" experience for our clients.
- Leading publications and ranking services repeatedly recognize the quality of our Antitrust practice. Global Competition Review selected us for their "Global Elite" and Chambers USA ranked our practice as one of the top in the nation. More than 25 of our antitrust attorneys are recognized individually.
Obtained clearance regarding the company’s $4.75 billion acquisition of Marketo, the leading marketing cloud platform for B2B marketing engagement.
Obtained US and EU competition clearances in connection with the company’s $66 billion acquisition by Bayer as well as coordinated antitrust/competition approvals in almost 30 other jurisdictions worldwide.
Obtained antitrust clearances for the company’s acquisition of BroadSoft, a provider of cloud-based, unified communications services.
Obtained antitrust clearances associated with the creation of a joint venture with Exxon-Mobil to build and operate an over US $7.0 billion petrochemical plant producing ethylene and ethylene derivatives.
Competition/Antitrust (Europe-wide) (2014-2015)