Emerging Companies and Venture Capital
Members of our Emerging Companies and Venture Capital practice work closely with emerging companies, venture capital funds, strategic investors, and angel investors to provide a broad range of services and advice in the core areas of finance, strategy, partnerships, intellectual property and employment. Our team has represented emerging growth clients in all stages of development from start-up to late-stage companies filing for an IPO.
We act as strategic partners for our emerging company clients, helping them find and secure financing, recruit and retain human capital, and develop, protect, and commercialize intellectual property. Whether representing operating companies or investors, we focus first on understanding the business of our clients so as to deliver solutions that are fully aligned with our clients' objectives.
Our industry experience is extremely broad. Our clients include computer software and hardware companies, Internet and e-commerce companies, biotechnology and medical device companies, wireless companies, entertainment-related businesses, fabless semiconductor companies, telecommunications businesses, financial technology companies, and companies engaged in the food, wine, and agriculture industry.
Areas of Focus:
- Corporate & Finance: choice of legal entity; corporate formation; founders' agreements; angel and venture capital financings; strategic corporate investments; joint ventures
- Employment: employment and consulting arrangements; employment and labor counseling and compliance; equity incentive plans; executive compensation counseling
- Product Development & Distribution: intellectual property acquisition, including proprietary information and inventions; development and professional services agreements; strategic collaborations and licensing; manufacturing, distribution and hosted application transactions
- Technology Infrastructure: equipment purchasing and leasing; telecommunications, bandwidth, colocation, managed hosting, and content delivery agreements
- Real Estate: acquisitions; dispositions; financings; commercial leasing joint ventures; construction projects; workouts and restructuring; environmental matters; complex litigation
- Public Offerings: initial public offerings; follow-on public offerings; S-3 shelf registrations; PIPEs transactions; 144A debt financings
- Mergers & Acquisitions/Joint Ventures: buy-side and sell-side transactions; spin-outs; strategic partnerships; joint ventures and collaborations
- Litigation: commercial disputes; product liability; appellate litigation; securities litigation; internal investigations and compliance reviews; defense of government investigations
Represented Silicon Valley wearable technology company in its worldwide collaboration with Union Horlogere Holdings to bring the company’s MotionX technology to the Swiss watch industry.
Represented independent, strategic venture organization established by the U.S. government to support the mission of the CIA and the broader intelligence community in dozens of investment transactions involving early-state technology companies.
Represented client in an investment in and strategic collaboration with an online marketplace for college students to buy and sell class notes and study materials.
Represented medical device company in its initial formation and in subsequent venture capital financing matters through sale of the company and, following a spinout, subsequent financings and IPO of parent company.
Represented provider of wireless communications solutions for the healthcare industry in numerous financings and acquisitions over a ten-year period.