Financial Institutions Mergers & Acquisitions
Arnold & Porter is one of the country's most experienced and innovative law firms in mergers and acquisitions involving financial institutions. Our corporate team works closely with lawyers from our highly respected financial services regulatory group, and lawyers from other key specialties. This combination enables us to address the key issues associated with each transaction and develop a comprehensive plan for achieving our client's objectives.
Lawyers with Arnold & Porter have advised clients on hundreds of transactions valued at hundreds of billions of US dollars and are often at the cutting edge in developing new or refined transaction structures.
We have advised clients in a broad range of transactions, including:
- whole institution mergers and acquisitions, including public and private transactions with cash, stock and mixed consideration;
- acquisitions of investment advisers and broker-dealers;
- purchase and sales of financial asset classes, including loans and loan servicing rights among others;
- branch and deposit purchases and sales, including large brokered CD portfolio transactions;
- bank-thrift mergers;
- bankruptcy, receivership, and conservatorship transactions, including Section 363 sales;
- conversion mergers;
- cross-border transactions;
- failed institution acquisitions, including through FDIC controlled auctions; and
- joint ventures and other cooperative structures.
Our clients range across the spectrum of financial services companies from banks and thrift institutions to insurance companies, broker-dealers, money management firms, specialty finance companies, and technology companies focused on financial services. We work closely with each of our clients, including their internal counsel, and their outside advisors to develop a comprehensive transaction plan, identifying potential regulatory, tax and other issues, and developing solutions to address them efficiently. We assist clients in integrating acquired businesses into existing operations. We are aided in this process by our depth of experience in all types of transactions, which enables us to act quickly, both in the initial planning stage and to respond to new developments as they arise during the course of a transaction.
Represented parent of First American International Bank in its $117 million sale to RBB Bancorp, Inc.
Represented a financial services holding company in its acquisition of Business Bancshares, Inc., and its subsidiary, The Business Bank of St. Louis.
Represented client in the sale of its controlling interest in a registered investment adviser.
Sale of boutique healthcare-focused investment banking firm to KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc.
Represented Onex Corporation and USI Insurance Services, a national insurance brokerage firm, to an affiliate of KKR & Co. L.P. and Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec.