Arnold & Porter has a sophisticated technology transactions practice that spans a wide array of technologies and industries. Our Technology Transactions team regularly represents companies in connection with transactions relating to the development and exploitation of products and services in such diverse industries as aerospace, alternative energy, consumer electronics, entertainment, financial services, information technology, healthcare information technology, Internet and new media, life sciences, publishing, retail and consumer products, robotics, satellite and broadcast media, security, and telecommunications. Our lawyers bring their technical and business acumen to bear on practical advice regarding the protection, development, procurement, and commercialization of critical intellectual property and technology assets.
Our clients range from emerging growth technology companies to FORTUNE 500 companies. Some of the larger clients we have represented include AOL, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, BAE Systems, Cisco, Komatsu, Microsoft, Motorola, and VeriSign. Representative privately held and venture-backed clients include Appian; Aptara; DreamWorks Animation; Digital Entertainment Content Ecosystem; Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios, Inc.; the Motion Picture Association of America; Paramount Studios; PolyPipe; the Taylor Companies; The Motley Fool; Universal Studios; and YMax.
We have helped clients with transactions involving a broad range of cutting-edge technologies, including mobile platforms, robotics platforms, technology blogs, near field communications technologies, digital advertising platforms, interactive television platforms, electro-optical sensor technologies, solar technologies, mobile personal assistant technologies, e-commerce platforms, social networking sites, security solutions (including digital rights management technologies), cloud-based rights authentication, e-readers and e-publishing, and online gaming.
We believe the depth and breadth of our Technology Transactions practice offers our clients insights into current market practices and credibility in negotiating with business partners. By intimately understanding our clients' opportunities and challenges, operations—and relationships with customers, suppliers, partners and regulators—we help them establish the most favorable terms for their businesses.
We offer our clients in-depth experience in, among other things:
- licensing of patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets, content, and technology assets;
- technology-intensive joint ventures, strategic alliances, and collaborations;
- outsourcing agreements, including business process outsourcing agreements;
- payment service agreements, including Internet, mobile, and contactless payment processing and payment technology integration;
- cloud service agreements, including SaaS, PaaS, and IaaS;
- digital, broadcast, and offline advertising and marketing arrangements;
- research and development agreements;
- digital rights management issues;
- government-funded research and development programs and contracts;
- manufacturing and supply agreements;
- services agreements;
- marketing, distribution, reseller, and original equipment manufacturer (OEM) arrangements;
- open source software issues;
- data security and privacy issues;
- IT and telecommunications systems procurement, licensing, and development agreements;
- equipment purchase and leases;
- warranty and consumer product safety and recall issues;
- IP litigation settlement agreements; and
- mergers, acquisitions, spinouts, and dispositions.
Our technology experience is extensive and encompasses deals involving:
- advanced technologies and robotics;
- alternative energy;
- Big Data and analytics;
- Bitcoin and Blockchain;
- consumer electronics and products;
- financial services and FinTech;
- healthcare information technologies;
- information technologies and outsourcing;
- Internet and new media;
- life sciences and medical devices;
- location-based entertainment and hospitality;
- security technology;
- telecommunications and satellite and broadcast media;
- universities and nonprofits; and
- wearable devices.
We also regularly assist privately held emerging growth companies with their financing transactions and represent private equity and venture funds in connection with their investments in technology intensive companies. Funds the firm has represented include American Capital Strategies; Arlington Capital Partners; CIVC Partners; CoVant; DC Capital Partners; Global Environment Fund; Goldman Sachs' Americas Special Situations Group; The Halifax Group; In-Q-Tel, Lazard Technology Partners; Perseus, L.L.C.; and York Capital.
Intellectual Property (California) (2005-2016)
Copyright Firm of the Year - South (US) (2015).
Patent Licensing (2012)