Food and Agriculture
We engage clients in the full policymaking spectrum—from Congress to the Executive Branch—to address their broad range of interests in the food supply chain. In working with congressional committees, congressional offices, federal agency officials and staff, and policy influencers, our team takes traditional and innovative approaches in executing policy solutions to address issues including those related to commodities, food assistance, nutrition, rural development, food safety, and food product labeling.
We have legislative and regulatory experience counseling clients on the reauthorization and implementation of major legislation including the Farm Bill and the Child Nutrition Act. Additionally, we have worked with clients on developing government affairs strategies for issues governed by the Food and Drug Administration Amendments Act and the Energy and Independence Security Act of 2007. We also advise clients on funding matters related to the Agriculture, Rural Development, and Food and Drug Administration appropriations bill.
- Assisted in developing and executing a strategy to repeal a Department of Agriculture rule that would result in more than $1 billion in retaliation tariffs on US products.
- Advised on school nutrition standards through the implementation of the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010, including having the US Department of Agriculture recognize certain food products under the Smart Snacks rule that would otherwise be eliminated.
- Advised on matters with respect to the Environmental Protection Agency's review of the Renewable Fuel Standard including the drafting of comments.
- Counseled on strategies to reform commodity programs during the most recent reauthorization of the Farm bill.
- Counseled on authorizations of research programs in the 2014 Farm Bill and assisted with the removal of a matching fund provision.
- Advocated in support of increased funding for food assistance programs.
- Counseled on the scientific revision process for the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, including drafting comments for submission to the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee.
- Secured a commissioner appointment onto the National Commission on Hunger.