Criminal investigations frequently spawn parallel congressional investigations. Representing clients in the public and political forum of a congressional hearing presents unique problems and dangers. Often, the need to present a strong public defense in Congress conflicts with the most effective defense of the criminal matter. In such circumstances, our white collar lawyers work closely with the experienced lawyers of our legislative and public policy group. We have, for example, represented government officials, pharmaceutical and food product manufacturers, healthcare providers, and other company executives in politically charged matters ranging from campaign finance to financial institution reform to products liability. Our ability to deal in a coordinated fashion with both political and legal aspects of an investigation helps to prevent a client's interests from being compromised.
- Members of Congress in sensitive investigations, including criminal investigations and prosecutions, involving national security.
- Martha Stewart in the House of Energy and Commerce Committee investigation of alleged insider trading
- An Ambassador in his appearance before the House Committee with respect to his service as Administrator of the Coalition Provisional Authority in Iraq.
- Homeland Security contractor in internal investigation, Defense Contract Audit Agency (DCAA) audits and DOJ investigation regarding performance and pricing issues.
- A drug company in connection with a Congressional investigation of drug pricing.
- A non-profit hospital in connection with a Congressional investigation of its practices in connection with noninsured patients.
- Generic drug company in Congressional investigation of drug pricing practices.