Arthur Brown is head of the firm's New York office. He has a broad practice, with deep experience representing and advising clients on mass tort and product liability issues, commercial litigation disputes, significant class actions, investigations by federal and state authorities, and inquiries from Congress.
Arthur is a nationally recognized leader in the product liability arena, serving as national counsel and national coordinating counsel representing pharmaceutical companies, including AstraZeneca, Bayer, Pfizer, and Novartis, in bet-the-company mass tort product liability actions. Arthur plays a central, hands-on role directing and implementing overall litigation and trial strategy, preparing high-level executives for testimony, and developing the medical and science defense. Arthur also has extensive experience representing and advising clients on class action litigation for clients like Samsung, and on strategic litigation and settlement decisions. Mr. Brown also advises many Fortune 500 companies on litigation avoidance, in product liability and commercial litigation, and white collar investigations.
Arthur is also an experienced commercial litigator who regularly represents and advises clients in complex securities and fraud cases, government investigations, and significant arbitrations, including his representation of the Patrolmen's Benevolent Society.
From 1994 to 1997, Arthur served as an Assistant District Attorney in the New York County District Attorney's office, where he prosecuted a wide range of cases involving street crime, conspiracy, fraud, and embezzlement.
- Samsung, as lead counsel, in Multidistrict Litigation, including twenty-six putative consumer class actions (2017–present).
- Samsung, as lead counsel, in several putative class actions pending in New York and Texas (2019–present).
- Patrolmens Benevolent Association, as lead counsel, in their ongoing labor arbitration against the City of New York (2014–present).
- AstraZeneca in a breach of contract claim brought by Verus Pharmaceuticals stemming from an alleged breach of a Collaboration Agreement to develop a pediatric asthma treatment. The case was dismissed on pretrial motion and the dismissal was upheld on appeal (2007–2012).
- Sandoz, Inc., as lead counsel, in an action brought by venture capitalists alleging securities and common law causes of action (2012–present).
- Former members of AIG's senior management, as a key member of the defense team, in a complex fraud action brought by the New York Attorney General's office under the Martin Act (2012–2017).
- Pharmaceutical companies in government and Congressional investigations related to marketed medicines (2002–present).
"Spotlight Table" Product Liability: Pharmaceutical (Nationwide) (2021-2023)
"Life Sciences Star"—Product Liability (New York) (2012–2014, 2018–2022)
"Life Sciences Star"—Non-IP Litigation and Enforcement (New York) (2015–2016)
- J.D., Temple University School of Law, 1994, cum laude
- B.S., University of Massachusetts, 1991, magna cum laude
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
Government & Military Service
- Assistant District Attorney, New York County District Attorney's Office