About the Firm
At Arnold & Porter, we are client-driven and industry-focused. Our lawyers practice in more than 40 areas across the litigation, regulatory and transactional spectrum to help clients with complex needs stay ahead of the global market, anticipate opportunities and address issues that impact the very value of their businesses. Our global reach, experience and deep knowledge allow us to work across geographic, cultural, technological and ideological borders, to offer clients forward-looking, results-oriented solutions that resolve their U.S., international, and cross-border legal needs.
Who We Are
- 100+ years of business acumen with a practical, forward-looking, results-driven approach
- 15 offices in the U.S., Europe, and Asia
- 143 lawyers ranked in Chambers USA, UK, Global, Europe, Latin America, Greater China Region and Asia-Pacific (2023)
- 130+ lawyers who have held senior positions in U.S. and European governments
- 121 Fortune 250 companies have chosen Arnold & Porter as outside counsel
What We Offer
- More than 1,000 lawyers with an unyielding commitment to excellence and professionalism.
- Exceptional depth of talent across the litigation, regulatory and transactional spectrum.
- Leading multidisciplinary practices in the life sciences and financial services industries.
- Among the broadest and deepest service offerings in the two key U.S. legal markets of New York and Washington, D.C.
- Broad reach across geographic, cultural, commercial, and ideological borders.
- One of the world's leading pro bono programs, with our attorneys performing more than 130,000 hours of pro bono work in 2022.
Rankings—Recognition Across a Broad Spectrum
- The National Law Journal’s 2023 Appellate Hot List (Recognized for the ninth year)
- The American Lawyer’s 2023 “A-List” (Ranked in the top 10 firms; recognized for the 14th year)
- Financial Times “Top 20 Most Innovative Law Firms in Practice of Law” (2021)
- International Financial Law Review
- IFLR 1000 2023 North America recognized 25 lawyers and 11 practice areas
- IFLR 1000 2022 UK recognized three lawyers and five practice areas
- Chambers and Partners 2023
- Chambers USA ranked 106 lawyers and 61 practice areas Chambers UK ranked 12 lawyers and five practice areas
- Chambers Global ranked 36 lawyers and 25 practice areas
- Chambers Europe ranked eight lawyers and five practice areas
- Chambers Latin America ranked six lawyers and three practice areas
- Chambers Asia-Pacific and Chambers Greater China ranked five lawyers and two practice areas
- Global Competition Review’s 2023 "GCR 100 Elite" (Ranked for the 15th year)
- Law360 2022 “Practice Groups of the Year”: Government Contracts, International Trade, and Life Sciences
- 2023 ranking of the most prestigious U.S. law firms (Ranked for the 19th year)
- The Legal 500 2023
- Ranked a “Top Tier Firm” in the United States and Latin America and a “Leading Firm” in the United Kingdom and Asia-Pacific
- Legal 500 United States ranked 174 lawyers and 51 practice areas
- Legal 500 UK ranked 35 lawyers and 15 practice areas
- Legal 500 EMEA ranked four lawyers and 1 practice area
- Legal 500, Latin America ranked 14 lawyers and five practice areas
- Legal 500 Asia-Pacific ranked three lawyers and one practice area
- U.S. News – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” 2023 — 42 national rankings and 93 metropolitan rankings
- LMG Life Sciences 2022 ranked 26 lawyers and 12 practice areas
Diversity—A Core Value at Arnold & Porter
- Management Leadership for Tomorrow (MLT) Gold Certification for Black Equity at Work (2023) — Part of the inaugural cohort of leading employers committed to a first-of-its-kind program providing actionable standards to achieve Black equity
- Mansfield 5.0 Plus Certification (2018–2022)
- Human Rights Campaign Foundation's 2022 Corporate Equality Index (Perfect Score as a "Best Place to Work for LGBTQ Equality" for the 16th year)
- Seramount’s (formerly Working Mother Media’s) 2022 "100 Best Companies for Working Mothers" (Recognized for the 18th year); "Best Law Firms for Women" (2015–2023);
"Best Law Firms for Dads" (2020-2022)
Pro Bono—One of the World's Leading Law Firm Programs
- The American Lawyer’s 2023 Pro Bono Scorecard (Ranked #5 in the U.S.; among the top 10 firms since 2020)
- Bloomberg Law's "Pro Bono Innovators: (2022)
- Chambers Diversity & Inclusion Awards: North America: Highly Commended – “Outstanding Firm USA, Private Practice” in Pro Bono (2022)
- Financial Times’ Innovative Lawyers Award for ”Rule of Law and Access to Justice for Pro Bono Work” (2019, 2018)
We provide the full breadth of legal resources to represent all of our clients' interests. Through interdisciplinary collaboration and specialized experience in our clients' industries, we offer truly innovative and effective solutions that align with both clients' short- and long-term business objectives.For those clients who cannot afford legal counsel, we maintain a broad and meaningful pro bono practice. Arnold & Porter is one of a small number of firms whose attorneys consistently average more than 100 hours per year of pro bono work. With a lengthy record of excellence, we remain committed to the community at large. In all of our work, we stay true to our core values. We maintain a diverse workplace, a collegial work environment, and an unyielding commitment to inclusiveness.
We set our standards high, expect the best from our attorneys, and return top-tier work on behalf of our clients. Our tradition of excellence is distinguished, and our attorneys are widely respected in the US and abroad. Our attorneys are leaders in their fields, speak frequently throughout the world on the firm's core practice areas, and are published widely in legal journals, industry and mass media, and "hot topic" books.
Our attorneys’ accomplishments are grounded in their training—often at the most noted legal institutions around the globe—and further enhanced by the experiences many of them had as doctors, biologists, chemists, public policy professionals, and former high-ranking officials from key US regulatory agencies and the executive and legislative branches of the federal government. Their insider perspectives are integral to understanding the legal and policy frameworks in which complex business and legal issues arise, and how best to structure transactions and overcome litigation and regulatory challenges.