About the Firm
At Arnold & Porter, we are client-driven and industry-focused. Our lawyers practice in more than 40 practice areas across the litigation, regulatory and transactional spectrum to help clients with complex needs stay ahead of the global market, anticipate opportunities and address issues that impact the very value of their businesses. Our global reach, experience and deep knowledge allow us to work across geographic, cultural, technological and ideological borders, to offer clients forward-looking, results-oriented solutions that resolve their US, international and cross-border legal needs.
Who We Are
- 100+ Years of business acumen with a practical forward-looking, results-driven approach
- 13 Offices in the US, Europe and Asia
- 123 Attorneys ranked in Chambers USA, UK, Global, Europe, Latin America, and Asia-Pacific
- 94 Attorneys who have held senior positions in US and European governments and international organizations
- 133 Fortune 250 companies have chosen Arnold & Porter as outside counsel
What We Offer
- Nearly 1,000 lawyers with an unyielding commitment to excellence and professionalism
- Exceptional depth of talent across the litigation, regulatory and transactional spectrum
- Leading multidisciplinary practices in the life sciences and financial services industries
- Among the broadest and deepest service offerings in the two key US legal markets of New York and Washington, DC
- Broad reach across geographic, cultural, commercial, and ideological borders
- One of the world's leading pro bono programs, with our attorneys performing more than 121,000 hours of pro bono work in 2020
Rankings—Recognition Across a Broad Spectrum
- The National Law Journal's Appellate Hot List (2010, 2013–2019)
- The American Lawyer's "A-List" recognized the firm eleven times since 2003
- Above the Law’s “Outside Counsel Rankings” 2021--“Top Tier Firm” overall and top counsel in Defense, Healthcare/Life Sciences and Telecommunications
- Chambers USA 2021 ranked 98 attorneys as "Leading Individuals"
- Chambers UK 2021 ranked 14 attorneys as "Leading Individuals"
- Chambers Global 2021 ranked 34 attorneys
- Chambers Latin America 2021 named the firm a leading law firm
- Chambers Asia-Pacific 2021 ranked five attorneys
- Global Competition Review ranked the firm on its 2020 "GCR Global Elite" list
- FORTUNE Magazine's "100 Best Companies to Work For" (2003–2010, 2013–2016)
- VAULT Guide's "Top 100 Law Firms" (2004–2019)
- Legal 500 US, UK, Europe, Latin America, and Asia ranked 64 practices and recognized 182 attorneys
- U.S. News Best Law Firms—45 national rankings and 103 metropolitan rankings in Chicago, Denver, Houston, Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, San Jose (Silicon Valley), and Washington, DC
Diversity—A Core Value at Arnold & Porter
- Mansfield Plus Certification (2018-2021)
- "Corporate Equality Index" ranking by the Human Rights Campaign (2006, 2008-2021)
- Yale Law Women's "Top 10 Family Friendly Law Firms" (2006-2018) and "Top 10 Female Friendly Firms" (2018)
- Working Mother Magazine's "100 Best Companies" (1996-1997, 2001-2002, 2004-2021); "Best Law Firms for Women" (2015-2021); "Best Law Firms for Dads" (2020)
- The National Law Journal named an Arnold & Porter attorney to its "Minority 40 Under 40" list in 2011, 2014, and 2015
Pro Bono—One of the World's Leading Law Firm Programs
- National Law Journal Pro Bono Hot List (2018 and 2020)
- Financial Times Award for Innovative Lawyers/ Rule of Law & Access to Justice Category (2019 and 2020)
- The American Lawyer’s 2021 Pro Bono Scorecard ranked the firm #9 in the US and #4 internationally
- Legal Services of Eastern Missouri Common Good Award (2020)
- Handled numerous death penalty cases, most recently obtaining the release of a client who had been on death row for 17 years for a murder he did not commit
- In the largest pro bono case in our history (more than 150 timekeepers and 31,000 hours), reached a landmark settlement with the Federal Bureau of Prisons requiring appropriate medical treatment for mentally ill prisoners at the famous "Supermax" prison in Colorado
- Obtained a major victory for Planned Parenthood in a case against anti-abortion activists who engaged in a years-long campaign of fraud and deception to "destroy" the organization
- Helped secure a groundbreaking victory on behalf of immigration advocacy groups when the Supreme Court ruled that the US could not add a citizenship question to the 2020 census
- Won a high-profile lawsuit in Pennsylvania that struck down the state’s congressional districting map as an unconstitutional partisan gerrymander
- Represented dozens of transgender clients on a variety of issues
We provide the full breadth of legal resources to represent all of our clients' interests. Through interdisciplinary collaboration and specialized experience in our clients' industries, we offer truly innovative and effective solutions that align with both clients' short- and long-term business objectives.For those clients who cannot afford legal counsel, we maintain a broad and meaningful pro bono practice. Arnold & Porter is one of a small number of firms whose attorneys consistently average more than 100 hours per year of pro bono work. With a lengthy record of excellence, we remain committed to the community at large. In all of our work, we stay true to our core values. We maintain a diverse workplace, a collegial work environment, and an unyielding commitment to inclusiveness.
We set our standards high, expect the best from our attorneys, and return top-tier work on behalf of our clients. Our tradition of excellence is distinguished, and our attorneys are widely respected in the US and abroad. Our attorneys are leaders in their fields, speak frequently throughout the world on the firm's core practice areas, and are published widely in legal journals, industry and mass media, and "hot topic" books.
Our attorneys’ accomplishments are grounded in their training—often at the most noted legal institutions around the globe—and further enhanced by the experiences many of them had as doctors, biologists, chemists, public policy professionals, and former high-ranking officials from key US regulatory agencies and the executive and legislative branches of the federal government. Their insider perspectives are integral to understanding the legal and policy frameworks in which complex business and legal issues arise, and how best to structure transactions and overcome litigation and regulatory challenges.