Ryan Casamiquela has practiced patent litigation for more than fifteen years. He has led the day-to-day litigation in high-stakes patent cases for industry leading clients, obtaining successful results across different venues and at trial. Mr. Casamiquela has represented clients in matters involving smartphones, data processing and storage, medical devices, pharmaceuticals, cable networking, WiFi, authentication and cryptography, cloud computing, software applications, data processing and storage, server infrastructure, semiconductors, LEDs, among other technologies. In addition to patent cases, Mr. Casamiquela's practice includes antitrust litigation, where the antitrust allegations relate to the settlement of ANDA litigation. Mr. Casamiquela's practice further includes inter partes reviews, and he has litigated matters involving trademark, copyright, and IP licensing.
Mr. Casamiquela's patent litigation experience includes obtaining a jury trial defense verdict in the Eastern District of Texas, winning summary judgment motions, winning a preliminary injunction, and securing favorable settlements after limiting claims during discovery and after motion practice. During these disputes, he has had primary responsibility for the non-infringement, invalidity, and/or damages cases for his clients. Further, Mr. Casamiquela has led settlement drafting and negotiation, pre-filing investigations and patent portfolio analysis, and has served as lead litigation advisor for transactional attorneys.
- Patent litigation involving hardware, software, and/or networking, including for Google, Adobe, and Honeywell in the Northern District of California, the Eastern District of Texas, the Western District of Wisconsin, and the District of New Jersey.
- Patent litigation involving medical devices, including for Hologic in the District of Delaware.
- Pharmaceutical patents, including for Endo Pharmaceuticals, involving claims derived from ANDA litigation.
- Inter partes reviews, including for Boston Scientific and Honeywell.
- Hybrid Patents v. Charter Communications (E.D. Tex.): Won a jury trial defense verdict of non-infringement in the Eastern District of Texas, where team defeated claim of US$176 million in patent damages.
- Smartphone & Tablet Patent Litigation: Obtained confidential resolution for matter during trial, after leading day-to-day litigation for years.
- Cisco Systems v. Rembrandt Technologies (D. Del.): Secured covenant not to sue and dismissal for leading manufacturers of networking equipment in an industry-wide patent litigation threatened by an injunction.
- Infineon Technologies v. MOSAID (D. N.J.): Obtained summary judgment relating to damages and non-infringement, where patentee accused DRAM technologies.
- Rackable Systems v. Super Micro Computer (N.D. Cal.): Obtained favorable settlement before trial and after winning summary judgment of no inequitable conduct and defeating summary judgment of non-infringement in a patent case involving server integration technology.
- Portable Media Player Patent Litigation (ITC): Obtained confidential resolution representing industry leader at the International Trade Commission.
- JD, University of California, Berkeley, School of Law, 2003
- BA, University of California, Berkeley, 1999, with distinction
- US District Court, Northern District of California
- US District Court, Central District of California
- US District Court, Eastern District of California
- US District Court, Southern District of California
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit