Ryan Casamiquela focuses his practice on patent litigation. Ryan's practice includes district court litigation, PTAB proceedings, Federal Circuit appeals, and matters before the International Trade Commission. He often leads the day-to-day litigation in high-stakes matters and has obtained successful results across different venues and at trial. Ryan represents clients in matters involving a wide range of technologies, often in hardware, software, and networking, including matters involving memory and microprocessor architecture, wireless networking, smartphones, data storage systems and software, medical devices, authentication and cryptography, cloud computing, server infrastructure, LEDs, among other technologies. In addition to patent cases, Ryan's practice includes antitrust litigation, where the antitrust allegations relate to the settlement of ANDA litigation. Ryan's practice further includes litigation matters involving trade secrets, trademark, copyright, and IP licensing.
Ryan's patent litigation experience includes multiple wins at jury trials in Texas and Delaware. In addition, Ryan has prevailed in several patent cases by winning dispositive motions, obtaining an injunction, prevailing at the Federal Circuit, prevailing at the PTAB, and by securing favorable settlements after limiting claims during discovery and after motion practice. During these disputes, he has had primary responsibility for the non-infringement, invalidity, and/or damages positions. Further, Ryan has led settlement drafting and negotiation, pre-filing investigations and patent portfolio analysis, and has served as lead litigation advisor for transactional attorneys.
- Patent litigation involving hardware, software, and/or networking, including for Google, Adobe, and Samsung across multiple jurisdictions.
- Inter partes reviews, including for Adobe, Boston Scientific, and Honeywell.
- Patent litigation involving medical devices, including a jury trial win for Hologic.
- Patent litigation involving networking, including a jury trial win for Charter.
- Federal Circuit appeals, prevailing for Adobe and Hologic.
- Patent litigation for leading manufacturers of networking equipment in Cisco Systems v. Rembrandt Technologies, securing covenant not to sue and dismissal in an industry-wide litigation threatened by an injunction.
- Smartphone & tablet patent litigation, obtaining confidential resolution for matter during trial, after leading day-to-day litigation for years.
- Portable media player patent litigation, representing industry leader at the International Trade Commission.
- Pharmaceutical patents, including for Endo Pharmaceuticals, involving claims derived from ANDA litigation.
- J.D., University of California, Berkeley, School of Law, 2003
- B.A., University of California, Berkeley, 1999, with distinction
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit