Frank Cruz-Alvarez is a trial lawyer with more than 20 years of experience representing companies and individuals in a variety of complex domestic and international disputes. He has represented numerous Fortune 100 companies, serving in several capacities from pretrial counselor to trial and appellate counsel. Frank is regularly retained to provide strategic advice to trial teams, and briefs and argues complex issues in high-stakes trials and appeals. He frequently develops new and creative arguments that have secured significant victories, including dismissal of clients before trial, evidentiary rulings, and jury instructions during trial. Since 2013, Frank has served as either trial counsel or lead legal strategy counsel in over 28 high-stakes jury trials.
In addition to his U.S.-based trial practice, Frank has also represented foreign and domestic corporations in arbitrations. He is familiar with and has participated in arbitrations administered pursuant to the rules of a number of arbitral bodies.
- Major tobacco industry client as trial and appellate counsel in cases pending in Florida and New Mexico state courts.
- Major tobacco industry client as national counsel in lawsuits filed in Florida state court by flight attendants alleging injuries from exposure to secondhand smoke onboard airplanes.
- Infrastructure management company. Obtained summary judgment on behalf of an infrastructure management company engaged in a contract dispute presenting an issue of first impression under Florida law. *
- Manufacturer of a hip replacement system in federal litigation. *
- Diet drug and contact lens solution manufacturers in Florida state and federal courts. *
- National trade associations involving amicus curiae appellate briefs in numerous cases pending in the Florida intermediate appellate courts and Florida Supreme Court. *
- Major chemical company as lead counsel in an international commercial arbitration under the rules of the International Center for Dispute Resolution. *
*Reflects experience at previous employer.
**Admitted only in Florida; practicing law in the District of Columbia during the pendency of his application for admission to the D.C. Bar and under the supervision of lawyers in the firm who are members in good standing of the D.C. Bar.
- J.D., University of Florida Levin College of Law, 2001, with honors
- B.A., University of Florida, 1998, with honors
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- Pro Bono Outside Counsel to the Congressional Hispanic Leadership Institute (2019-present)