Melissa Dames represents both corporate bodies and individuals facing criminal and regulatory investigations and prosecutions. She advises in respect of economic crime including fraud, bribery and corruption. Melissa deals with multi-jurisdictional matters involving the SFO, FCA, and HMRC, as well as advising on ancillary civil litigation matters.
Melissa also provides advice on money laundering regulations, and financial and trade sanctions, including both compliance and enforcement.
Before joining the firm, Melissa was an associate in the London office of a leading international firm. She focused her practice on commercial dispute resolution and internal investigations, representing multi-national financial institutions, investment management firms and other corporations.
- FTSE 100 company in respect of an investigation by the Serious Fraud Office, working in conjunction with US co-counsel in respect of DoJ and SEC investigations.
- Individual investigated by the Financial Conduct Authority in relation to a breach of Individual Conduct Rules as part of the Senior Manager Regime, as well as assisting with a concurrent US investigation.
- Aerospace company in an internal investigation stemming from press coverage of allegations of bribery.
- Travel technology company in respect of an internal investigation in the UK and US into potential breaches of Russia-related sanctions, including disclosure to OFSI.
- Retail management company in respect of an internal investigation into potential breaches of Russia-related sanctions, including disclosure to OFSI.
- Individuals involved in bribery investigation conducted by the FCA and US Department of Justice.
- Healthcare company in relation to criminal proceedings against its directors arising from failure to comply with Company Act requirements.
- Individual investigated by the Institute of Chartered Accountants of England and Wales in relation to issues of failure to prevent tax evasion.
- Individuals involved in the SFO's investigations into Rolls Royce, Unaoil, and ENRC.
Regulatory Investigations and Corporate Crime (2023)
- L.P.C., BPP Law School, 2011
- B.Sc., Chemistry and Law, University of Bristol, 2007
- England and Wales