Simon Firth’s practice focuses on funds, investment management and related regulation. He advises investment managers and sponsors on the establishment, promotion, regulation, and operation of alternative investment funds, as well as on managed account arrangements. He is increasingly involved with clients investing in cryptoassets.
Mr. Firth's related transactional work comprises fund seeding and restructuring, and acquisitions and disposals of investment firms. His work frequently involves establishing and structuring investment management and other financial services businesses, and drafting their shareholders' or members' agreements. Mr. Firth also regularly advises clients on regulatory matters, including the AIFMD, MiFID, FCA authorisation, financial promotion, conduct of business rules, emerging cryptoasset regulation and customer documentation. This advice often involves analysis of applicable UK and EU regulations and equivalent SEC provisions. Mr. Firth is a regular speaker on investment management and regulatory matters, and frequently contributes articles on industry matters.
- A US fixed-income manager with more than $160 billion under management, on a range of UK and EU related issues and fund formation.
- A major European systematic hedge fund manager, acting as UK counsel for a number of Cayman/Delaware master-feeder funds, including fund formation.
- Cryptoassets, advising a UK fund manager on the formation of a decentralised finance fund in Jersey and forming a Cayman Islands fund investing in funds managed by specialist managers who invest in digital assets.
- Advising a UK fund manager on the formation of a Cayman Islands litigation funding investment fund, including seed investor negotiations.
- Numerous other fund promoters and investment managers on fund structuring and formation in a variety of jurisdictions.
"Leading Individual" Investment Fund Formation and Management: Hedge Funds (2022)
Hedge Funds (2014-2022)
Derivatives and Structured Products (2017)
Venture Capital Law (2018–2024)
- M.A., Modern Languages and Law, Cambridge University, Girton College
- England and Wales
- Member, Law and Society of England and Wales
- Liveryman, Worshipful Company of International Bankers