Simon Firth’s practice focuses on funds, investment management and related regulation. He advises investment managers and sponsors on the establishment, promotion, regulation, and operation of alternative investment funds. as well as on managed account arrangements. He is increasingly involved with clients investing in cryptoassets.
Mr. Firth's related transactional work comprises fund seeding and restructuring, and acquisitions and disposals of investment firms. His work frequently involves establishing and structuring investment management and other financial services businesses, and drafting their shareholders' or members' agreements. Mr. Firth also regularly advises clients on regulatory matters, including the AIFMD, MiFID, FCA authorisation, financial promotion, conduct of business rules, emerging cryptoasset regulation and customer documentation. This advice often involves analysis of applicable UK and EU regulations and equivalent SEC provisions. Mr. Firth is a regular speaker on investment management and regulatory matters, and frequently contributes articles on industry matters.
- MacKay Shields LLC, a fixed-income manager with more than $160 billion under management, on a range of UK- and EU-related issues and fund formation.
- Advising a UK fund manager on the formation of a decentralised finance fund in Jersey.
- IPM Informed Portfolio Management AB, a Swedish systematic investment manager, acting as UK counsel for IPM Systematic Macro Fund and IPM Systematic Currency Fund and their respective master funds and forming IPM Systematic Commodities Fund.
- Advising a UK fund manager on seed investor negotiations, and a contribution of assets, relating to a Cayman litigation funding fund.
- Investment managers, generally on business structuring, fund launches, client documents and regulatory matters, and advising as external general counsel.
- PrimeXtend, a start-up prime services provider, on its prime brokerage documents with a major international bank and on the customer facing documentation for its prime services business.
Venture Capital Law (2018–2022)
Hedge Funds (2014–2022)
Derivatives and Structured Products (2017)
- MA, Modern Languages and Law, Cambridge University, Girton College
- England and Wales
- Member, Law and Society of England and Wales
- Liveryman, Worshipful Company of International Bankers