Ryan Guilds’ practice focuses on brand integrity, complex products liability litigation, white collar criminal defense, internal company compliance, and victim rights.
Mr. Guilds has significant expertise addressing a variety of compliance and business integrity initiatives, including supply chain security, FCPA compliance, and know your business partner compliance programs. Mr. Guilds also has nearly two decades of experience implementing brand protection strategies and developing policies and procedures to mitigate the risks associated with in-house and external investigation and brand protection programs. He regularly assists clients working with prosecutors and law enforcement investigations, engaging with regulatory agencies on substantive integrity initiatives, and developing trade policies and programs to support broader company integrity programs.
Mr. Guilds has decades of experience representing pharmaceutical clients in connection with mass tort product-liability litigation. He has extensive experience developing, preparing, and defending expert witnesses and routinely develops and supervises large scale e-discovery initiatives. His experience extends to developing and supervising large-scale motion practice and discovery in wide-ranging litigations, including several MDL matters.
Mr. Guilds is a recognized national victims’ rights expert who represents survivors of crime in connection with the investigation and prosecution of their assailants as well as corporations seeking restitution for intellectual property harm. Under his leadership, the Firm has represented dozens of sexual assault survivors in both civilian and military proceedings pro bono. He is on the board of the National Crime Victim Law Institute, the honorary board of Protect Our Defenders, and is the former board chair of the Network for Victim Recovery of DC.
Mr. Guilds pro bono experience includes a career-long commitment to the representation of indigent criminal defendants including a matter in which Mr. Guilds successfully obtained the release of a wrongfully convicted man on death row. As a result of his work, Mr. Guilds was honored by the Pennsylvania Capital Representation Project for his extraordinary efforts on behalf of Pennsylvania's death row inmates.
- Large pharmaceutical client – developed comprehensive procedures and protocols in connection with the use of investigative resources to combat illegal trafficking in counterfeit and misbranded pharmaceutical products.
- Developed a compliance program and process in support of a global brand protection program.
- Created and implemented compliance reviews of customers in support of company-wide know your customer initiatives.
- Consumer products company – represented in negotiations with prosecutors regarding a wide range of requests for information from federal and state law enforcement agencies.
- US-based consumer products company – assisted in developing working beneficial relationships with federal and state prosecutors.
- Supervised the implementation of an international brand protection program in Asia.
- FORTUNE 500 company – developed a comprehensive know your business partner compliance program, including program design and structure, code of conduct/policy revision, training, and ongoing monitoring.
- Large US-based consumer products company – advised regarding post-closing compliance remediation following the acquisition of newly acquired business functions.
- JD, University of North Carolina School of Law, 1997, high honors
- BA, State University of New York at Buffalo, 1994, magna cum laude
- District of Columbia
- US Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- US District Court, District of Columbia
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- US Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
- US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, The Honorable J. Dickson Phillips, Jr.