Fred Kelly is a trial lawyer with over 35 years of experience successfully litigating a wide range of commercial and product-related disputes, primarily for life sciences companies. He advises and defends companies on class actions, antitrust matters, state consumer protection acts, trade secret and noncompetition claims, protection of confidential and proprietary information, and product advertising, promotion, and pricing matters.
Fred also represents companies in product safety cases, including mass tort matters. He has appeared as lead counsel in federal and state courts throughout the United States and in both domestic and international arbitration proceedings.
In addition to his courtroom and counseling roles, international companies and in-house counsel turn to Fred to solve problems before they result in litigation, for help in identifying, minimizing, and mitigating risk, and efficiently managing legal resources. He supervises large case teams within one firm and across several law firms as part of a “virtual” firm.
- Major biopharmaceutical company as a defendant in multiple “reverse payment” cases consolidated in the District of Massachusetts.*
- Major pharmaceutical company as a defendant in a large commercial dispute in Delaware Chancery Court.*
- Major pharmaceutical company as a defendant in a successful WIPO arbitration involving the licensing of cutting-edge monoclonal antibody patents.*
- Several life sciences companies as defendants in False Claim Act cases.*
- Surgical glove manufacturer as a defendant in a consolidated, eight-week trial. Secured two favorable jury verdicts*
Pharmaceutical product as a defendant in a dispute regarding a licensing agreement where the inventor was seeking $20,000,000 in damages. Secured a favorable verdict for the client.*
*Reflects experience at previous employer.
- J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 1984
- A.B., Harvard University, 1981
- Rhode Island
- Instructor, Harvard Law School Trial Advocacy Program
- Judge, Yale Moot Court Program
- Boston Bar Association
- Rhode Island Bar Association