Dr. John McInnes, an ophthalmologist by training, brings his medical experience to bear for life sciences clients navigating complex reimbursement challenges. He specializes in developing and executing reimbursement strategies for new technology in both the medical device and pharmaceutical areas. He rejoined the firm after several years as the Director of the Division of Outpatient Care in the Center for Medicare at the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), and as a Medical Officer at the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation at CMS.
While at CMS, he served as Director of the Division of Outpatient Care and Acting Director of Practitioner Services, the divisions responsible for the Hospital Outpatient Prospective Payment System, the Ambulatory Surgical Center Payment System, and the Medicare Physician Fee Schedule. In those roles, John created and spearheaded many major policy changes that fundamentally altered these national Medicare payment systems. He was often the principal liaison for life science companies and healthcare professional organizations, while leading teams focused on new payment service delivery models that aim to achieve higher quality care for patients, greater efficiency, and lower costs. He also led a team charged with developing, implementing, and evaluating new payment models under the Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act of 2015 (MACRA).
John is an ophthalmologist and fellowship-trained corneal specialist. He began his legal career as an associate at the firm, where his practice focused on Medicare regulatory matters and healthcare fraud.
- Expert in developing tailored and novel reimbursement strategies for complex innovative technologies, including medical devices and drugs and biologicals;
- Expert in all of the various aspects of coding, coverage, and payment for innovative technologies; and
- Expert in navigating CMS to achieve optimal reimbursement.
- J.D., University of Texas School of Law, Order of the Coif
- M.D., Duke University School of Medicine
- B.S., Chemical and Biomedical Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University, with honors
- District of Columbia
Government & Military Service
- Director, Division of Outpatient Care, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
- Acting Director, Division of Practitioner Services, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
- Medical Officer, Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
- Director, Division of Program Coordination and Liaison, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
- Acting Director, Division of External Affairs, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services