Dr. John McInnes, a board-certified ophthalmologist, brings his medical experience to bear for life sciences clients navigating complex regulatory challenges. He rejoins the firm after several years as the Director of the Division of Outpatient Care in the Center for Medicare at the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), and as a Medical Officer at the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation at CMS.
While at CMS, he served as Director of the Division of Outpatient Care and Acting Director of Practitioner Services, the divisions responsible for the development of national Medicare payment policies for hospital outpatient departments, ambulatory surgery centers, and physician services, among others. In those roles, Dr. McInnes was often the principal liaison for life science companies and healthcare professional organizations, while leading teams to develop new payment service delivery models that aim to achieve higher quality care for patients and lower costs through improvements in Medicare payment policy. He also led a team charged with developing, implementing and evaluating new payment models under the Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act of 2015 (MACRA).
Dr. McInnes is a board-certified ophthalmologist and fellowship-trained corneal specialist. He began his legal career as an associate at the firm, where his practice focused on Medicare regulatory matters and healthcare fraud.
- JD, University of Texas School of Law, Order of the Coif
- MD, Duke University School of Medicine
- BS, Chemical and Biomedical Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University, with honors
- District of Columbia
- Director, Division of Outpatient Care, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- Acting Director, Division of Practitioner Services, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- Medical Officer, Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- Director, Division of Program Coordination and Liaison, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- Acting Director, Division of External Affairs, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services