Lucy McMillan is a full-time pro bono professional in charge of managing the Firm's impact litigation work, as well as the New York Office's pro bono litigation matters. Ms. McMillan is responsible for furthering the Firm's relationships with legal services organizations and not-for-profits, organizing and developing pro bono training programs, and assisting attorneys in obtaining pro bono matters. Ms. McMillan also handles and supervises individual pro bono matters.
Ms. McMillan has significant experience in immigration, education, gun violence prevention and civil rights matters. Ms. McMillan has handled impact litigation cases, as well as matters for individuals in federal and state court, and in administrative proceedings. Ms. McMillan also works on policy and regulatory matters relating to immigration, gun violence prevention and education.
Prior to her current role, Ms. McMillan was an attorney in the firm's Litigation group. In that position she represented commercial clients in state and federal courts, and in American Arbitration Association (AAA) and Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) arbitrations.
Before joining Arnold & Porter, Ms. McMillan clerked for the Honorable Roanne L. Mann in the Eastern District of New York, and spent two years working at Advocates for Children of New York as the recipient of an Equal Justice Works fellowship.
- Separated mothers and children in Federal Tort Claims Act litigation challenging the government's policy of separating parents from their children at the United States border.
- Parents of children with disabilities in special education administrative proceedings.
- Victims of gun violence in negligence suit against gun dealer in New York state court.
- Parents in family court proceedings.
- Asylum-seekers in removal defense matters before the immigration courts.
- J.D., New York University School of Law, 2004, cum laude
- B.A., Washington University in St. Louis, 1999
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York, The Honorable Roanne L. Mann
Member, Association of Pro Bono Counsel (APBCO)
Member, New York City Bar Association
Member, Federal Bar Council