Maya Paunrana concentrates her practice in white collar crime and regulatory defence work. Ms. Paunrana acts on behalf of both corporates and individuals in relation to bribery/corruption, fraud, and money laundering investigations, as well as prosecutions conducted by the SFO, the FCA, and the CPS. In addition, she has conducted internal investigations on behalf of corporate clients seeking to minimise their exposure to business risk.
- GlaxoSmithKline as part of the team instructed as lead criminal advisers in respect of the company's ongoing investigation by the SFO.
- Senior executive at a major retail bank in relation to a SFO investigation into fraud and false accounting following a whistleblowing incident.
- Advised corporates in relation to compliance with the Bribery Act 2010, including conducting an anti-corruption risk assessment for large corporations who have a presence in the UK.
- Acted for a defendant in the largest individual prosecution of "boiler room" fraud brought by the SFO.*
- Acted for a high-profile sports coach against regulatory proceedings.*
- Acted for high-net-worth individuals facing criminal proceedings by HMRC.*
- Acted for corporate bodies facing confiscation proceedings.*
*Reflects experience at previous employer, another leading international law firm, while residing in its London office.
- Legal Practice Course, BPP Law School, 2011
- LLB, King's College London, 2010
- England and Wales