Maya Paunrana concentrates her practice in white collar crime and regulatory defence work. Ms. Paunrana acts on behalf of both corporates and individuals in relation to bribery/corruption, fraud, and money laundering investigations, as well as prosecutions conducted by the SFO, the FCA, and the CPS. In addition, she has conducted internal investigations on behalf of corporate clients seeking to minimise their exposure to business risk.
- Individuals employed by a multinational investment bank in an investigation being conducted in the US and UK into the bank's alleged involvement in a multi-million dollar fraud.
- Current and formers employees of a major oil company regarding ongoing multi-country bribery and corruption investigation by the DOJ and SFO.
- GlaxoSmithKline as part of the team instructed as lead criminal advisers in respect of the company's ongoing investigation by the SFO.
- Senior executive at a major retail bank in relation to a SFO investigation into fraud and false accounting following a whistleblowing incident.
- Advised corporates in relation to compliance with the Bribery Act 2010 and anti-money laundering regulations, including conducting an anti-corruption risk assessment for large corporations who have a presence in the UK.
- Individuals involved as either suspects or witnesses in a number of high profile SFO investigations, criminal proceedings brought by HMRC, and confiscation proceedings.
- Acted for a defendant in the largest individual prosecution of "boiler room" fraud brought by the SFO.*
- Acted for a high-profile sports coach against regulatory proceedings.*
*Reflects experience at previous employer, another leading international law firm, while residing in its London office.
Regulatory Investigations and Corporate Crime (2023)
- Legal Practice Course, BPP Law School, 2011
- LLB, King's College London, 2010
- England and Wales