Tom Pettit represents government contractors across industry sectors facing a range of government contracting challenges, including litigation, transactions, cybersecurity compliance and investigations. He has a background in the defense/aerospace, intelligence and national security industries gained through his service in the US Marine Corps and prior employment with one of the ten largest government contractors and the Office of the General Counsel of a federally funded research and development center.
Mr. Pettit litigates protests, contract claims and prime-subcontractor disputes before the US Government Accountability Office, US Court of Federal Claims, US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, the Boards of Contract Appeals, and other forums. He also represents buyers and sellers in complex corporate transactions, including mergers, acquisitions, bankruptcies, teaming arrangements, joint ventures, and subcontracting partnerships. Additionally, he advises clients on compliance with cybersecurity obligations, including the Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification (CMMC), DFARS 252.204-7012, NIST SP 800-171, and DFARS 252.204-25, and represents clients in cyber incident investigations and reporting.
A US Marine Corps veteran of Operation Iraqi Freedom, Mr. Pettit maintains an active pro bono practice helping veterans receive benefits and discharge upgrades and representing active duty servicemembers facing a variety of other legal challenges, including consumer and landlord-tenant disputes in Virginia.
- American Securities and Lindsay Goldberg in connection with $2.4 billion acquisition of AECOM Management Services Business.
- Borden Dairy Company on pre- and post-closing government contracting issues in connection with its contested chapter 11 cases and the 363 sale of substantially all of its assets in a transaction valued at approximately $340 million.
- Wheels Up Partners in connection with its acquisition of Mountain Aviation.
- Owl Cyber Defense Solutions in connection with the acquisition of Trident Assured Collaboration Systems.
- JD, American University Washington College of Law, 2016, summa cum laude, Order of the Coif
- BA, Political Science, Virginia Polytechnic & State University, 2011, cum laude
- District of Columbia
- US Court of Federal Claims
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- US Marine Corps