Kathryn Podsiadlo focuses on mass tort product liability and complex litigation, including pharmaceutical actions in both federal and state courts. She has represented major US and international corporations, including AstraZeneca, Bayer, Pfizer, and other pharmaceutical clients. Ms. Podsiadlo has experience in all phases of litigation, including case strategy, discovery, taking and defending fact and expert depositions, motions, trials, settlements and appeals. She has gained substantial experience in expert-related work, including developing and rebutting scientific and medical evidence. Ms. Podsiadlo also has an active pro bono practice.
Prior to joining the firm, she served as a Judicial Law Clerk for the Los Angeles County Superior Court. Ms. Podsiadlo earned her JD at Southwestern Law School, where she was managing editor of the Southwestern Law Review and part of Southwestern’s Appellate Litigation Clinic where she argued a pro bono case before the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit as a law student.
- AbbVie, in California case alleging death from medication used in a clinical trial for cancer treatment. Ms. Podsiadlo served as the lead associate on the case, overseeing case strategy, briefing, and arguing key demurrers and motions to strike, ultimately resulting in a dismissal for the client. The case is currently pending before the California Court of Appeals.
- AstraZeneca, as national counsel, in product liability lawsuits involving its proton pump inhibitor medications, Nexium and Prilosec. Ms. Podsiadlo works on all aspects of the case, with her primary focus on the coordination of the expert and science defense across jurisdictions and has taken and defended expert depositions.
- Bayer, as national counsel in the defense of its oral anticoagulant prescription medication, Xarelto. Ms. Podsiadlo primarily focused on the expert and science defense for the In re Xarelto multidistrict litigation, as well as actions in the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas. Ms. Podsiadlo supported several trial teams in the role of national counsel, and she served as a member of a trial team in the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas where the team obtained a defense verdict.
- Bayer, as national counsel in nationwide litigation involving Roundup. Ms. Podsiadlo primarily focused on the coordination of expert and science defense across jurisdictions, and she served on a trial team.
- Bayer Corporation, in a case involving claims of toxicity concerning low dose aspirin. The case resulted in a complete victory for the client when Judge Real (USDC Central District, Cal.) granted summary judgment on all claims in June 2016, which the 9th Circuit affirmed. Ms. Podsiadlo worked on the fact and expert defense of the case and assisted with the preparation of the briefing before the 9th Circuit.
- Pfizer Inc., in litigation alleging injuries from its prescription medication, Zoloft. Ms. Podsiadlo was involved in the case work up for cases set for trial in California. She also served as local counsel where she regularly attended status conferences and oversaw the day-to-day of the California state court actions.
- J.D., 2014, Southwestern University School of Law, cum laude
- B.A., University of California, Berkeley, 2009