Alexander Roussanov, a former senior legal adviser in the Legal Department of the European Medicines Agency (EMA), focuses his practice on a broad range of issues related to the life-cycle of medicinal products and medical devices. His experience includes product classification, authorization and conduct of clinical trials for medicinal products and clinical investigations for medical devices, marketing authorization for medicinal products and CE marking of medical devices, pharmacovigilance and device vigilance, marketing and promotion activities, privacy and data protection counseling, and interactions with health care professionals.
He is well-versed in certain EMA-specific regulations, including those surrounding advanced therapy medicinal products, marketing authorization procedures, referral procedures, GxP inspections, the Agency's freedom of information policy and clinical data transparency. In addition, he has represented the EMA in litigation in the Court of Justice of the European Union.
Mr. Roussanov advises clients on the form and terms of various types of agreements important for the efficient conduct of research activities including clinical study agreements, sponsor's representative agreements, registry agreements and CRO agreements. He also has experience in internal investigations, audits and regulatory due-diligence projects.
He has extensive practical experience counseling organizations on data security and privacy matters. Mr. Roussanov has assisted clients with compliance requirements of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (GDPR). He advises on many aspects of the GDPR that are of particular importance in the Life Sciences sector. These include the collection and processing of patients' personal health data and genetic data, transfer of personal health data outside the EU and the territorial scope of the GDPR.
- Assisting Pfizer jointly with BioNTech in seeking to intervene in proceedings in Case T-96/21 Amort, concerning an application for the annulment of an EU conditional marketing authorisation for a COVID-19 vaccine.
- Providing strategic advice to a trade association on potential pathways for obtaining relaxation of timelines for submission of the applications for paediatric SPC extension in light of delays in the conduct of paediatric clinical trials in the context of COVID-19.
- Advising global pharmaceutical company on the EU and national rules governing the automated bedside decentralised manufacturing of centrally authorised ATMPs.
- Assisting biotech companies in their pre-approval discussions with the EMA (e.g., ITF, scientific advice, protocol assistance) and matters relating to product classification.
- Regularly assisting clients in their interactions with Ethics Committees, EU Member States competent authorities in relation to the approval, conduct and GCP compliance of clinical trials, as well as the drafting and negotiation of clinical trials agreements, master services agreements with vendors and clinical trial documentation (e.g., ICFs).
- Advising multiple clients on unlicensed use/compassionate use schemes and other market access issues.
- Providing strategic assistance and advice to clients in their regulatory interactions with the EMA (e.g., applications for marketing authorisation, PSUR submissions, safety referrals, post-marketing obligations).
- Assisting numerous clients in responding to GxP inspections by the competent authorities in the EU.
- Developing and reviewing internal compliance documents for various pharmaceutical companies and medical devices manufacturers.
- Advising pharmaceutical companies and medical devices manufacturers ;on compliance of promotional materials and interactions with HCPs, HCOs and patient organisations.
- Assist multiple clients in complying with French sunshine law and anti-gift law requirements (e.g., prior notification/approval of agreements with French HCPs).
- Provide regulatory advice to a manufacturer of highly innovative implantable medical device, including conduct of clinical investigations and implementation of named patient/compassionate use programs in the EU Member States and the UK.
- M.A., Belgian Public and Private Law, Université Libre de Bruxelles
- M.A., European Political and Administrative Studies, The College of Europe
- D.E.S.S., European Communities Litigation, The University of Strasbourg
- Brussels, Belgium