Alexander Shaknes has extensive experience in representing large corporate clients in litigating, arbitrating and settling highly complex commercial disputes and in conducting internal investigations.
Most recently, he successfully represented Philip Morris in a multi-hundred-billion dollar Master Settlement Agreement with 52 US states and territories and in related billion dollar arbitrations and settlements with respect to disputes over the payments due under the Master Settlement Agreement.
Mr. Shaknes also recently represented the Kyrgyz Republic in a multi-billion dollar ad hoc arbitration with a Canadian mining company involving a dispute over one of the world’s largest gold mines.
Mr. Shaknes has represented pharmaceutical, technology and manufacturing companies in commercial litigation involving allegations of breach of contract and business torts, as well as in consumer class actions. Mr. Shaknes, who is fluent in Russian, also has successfully handled significant multi-jurisdictional contractual and securities disputes involving foreign investors.
Mr. Shaknes obtained his JD from Columbia University School of Law where he was a Kent Scholar and an editor of the Columbia Law Review. He holds an MS with highest honors from Moscow University of Civil Engineering.
- Philip Morris in multi-billion dollar arbitrations and settlement arising out of the Master Settlement Agreement with 52 US States and territories.
- The Kyrgyz Republic in multi-billion dollar arbitration involving a dispute over one of the world’s largest gold mines.
- Pfizer in a multi-hundred-million dollar contract dispute with a group of business partners.
- Qualcomm in litigation over a joint venture agreement with a group of investors.
- J.D., Columbia Law School, 1995
- M.S., Moscow State University of Civil Engineering
- New York