Amanda Sherwood's practice covers a wide range of government contracts matters. She assists clients in complying with the various regulatory challenges specific to the contracting and national security industries, ranging from contract administration matters including questions of cost allowability, to cyber security and data rights matters, to compliance with domestic preference and other regulatory regimes. She has experience bringing, defending, and appealing contract claims; responding to government investigations and Freedom of Information Act requests; and pursuing and defending bid protests. She has assisted numerous clients, including nontraditional contractors, negotiate contracts and other agreements with the federal government, navigating the regulatory landscape to reach mutually agreeable solutions.
Amanda has represented government contractors before the Government Accountability Office, Boards of Contract Appeals, Court of Federal Claims, Federal Circuit, District Courts, and various federal agencies.
- Triple Canopy Inc., in the successful recovery of amounts withheld on security contracts arising, in part, from the consequences of an after-imposed Iraqi law implicating the ability to perform security contracts in the country through an Alternative Dispute Resolution procedure. Triple Canopy Inc. v. Dep’t of State, CBCA No. 6538 (May 5, 2022).
- ACADEMI LLC in securing a favorable settlement through an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) proceeding involving penalties for allegedly expressly unallowable costs, imposition of unilateral rate determinations, and allowability of certain direct costs. The issues spanned three fiscal years. ACADEMI LLC, ASBCA Nos. 60886 et al., (March 1, 2022).
- ACADEMI Training Center LLC, in securing a successful resolution, by alternative dispute resolution, on a contractor claim of approximately US$12 million and a government claim of approximately US$3.6 million involving the interpretation of purported caps on G&A, ODC, and fringe rates. ACADEMI Training Center LLC, ASBCA Nos. 61977, 62296 (April 2, 2021)
- Multiple civilian and defense contractors in appealing claims and reaching successful Contracts Disputes Act settlements at the Civilian Board of Contract Appeals and Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals.
- Department of State contractor in a successful outcome via alternative dispute resolution of a claim arising from a termination of convenience at the Civilian Board of Contract Appeals.
- Defense contractor in successful defense of a TINA claim before the Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals.
- Federal government subcontractor in an arbitration with the prime contractor, which resulted in a monetary award for the subcontractor (Open SAN Consulting, Fairfax County Case No. 2019-13781, confirmation of award after formal arbitration).
- Services contractor in the prosecution of a Contracts Disputes Act claim in federal district court resulting from a maritime contract.
- Pharmaceutical company in a reverse Freedom of Information Act lawsuit resulting in the protection of confidential information from public disclosure post-Argus.
- Defense contractor in reverse Freedom of Information Act lawsuit resulting in the protection of confidential information from public disclosure.
- J.D., University of Pennsylvania Law School, 2015, summa cum laude, Order of the Coif
- B.A., University of Pennsylvania, 2012, summa cum laude
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Member, Law360's 2023 Government Contracts Editorial Advisory Board