Jeffrey Smith is a retired partner and former head of the firm's National Security practice. He regularly counseled both US and foreign companies on a wide range of national security issues. His practice included advising major defense and aerospace companies and representing major media organizations and individuals with respect to First Amendment issues and unauthorized disclosures of classified information. Mr. Smith has frequently represented prominent individuals in congressional investigations and federal prosecutions. He has also represented major universities on national security issues.
Mr. Smith is a former General Counsel of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA). He has also served as General Counsel of the Senate Armed Services Committee and was Senator Sam Nunn's designee to the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence and the Iran/Contra Committee. Prior to working for the Senate, he was the Assistant Legal Adviser for Law Enforcement and Intelligence at the State Department. Earlier, as an Army Judge Advocate General officer, he served as the Pentagon's lawyer for the Panama Canal negotiations.
In 1992 and 1993, Mr. Smith served as the chief of the Clinton Transition Team at the US Department of Defense. He also chaired the Joint Security Commission established in 1993 by Secretary of Defense Les Aspin and CIA Director James Woolsey to examine the security procedures of the defense and intelligence communities and the companies that contract with them. In addition, he served on the congressionally mandated Commission on Roles and Missions of the Armed Services.
- JD, University of Michigan Law School, 1971
- BS, Civil Engineering, United States Military Academy, 1966
- District of Columbia
- General Counsel, Central Intelligence Agency
- Chief of the Clinton Transition Team, US Department of Defense
- General Counsel, Senate Armed Services Committee
- Assistant Legal Adviser, US Department of State
- Chair, Joint Security Commission
- Senator Sam Nunn's designee to the Iran/Contra Committee and the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence
- Army Judge Advocate General Officer, served as Pentagon's lawyer for the Panama Canal negotiations
- Infantry Officer and JAGC Officer, US Army
- Member, Board of Trustees, In-Q-Tel
- Board of Directors, LGS Innovations
- Former Member, Board of Trustees, The Aerospace Corporation
- Counsel to the Board of Directors, CIA Officer's Memorial Foundation
- Member, Department of State Advisory Committee on International Law
- General Counsel, The Goldwater Foundation
- Member, Council on Foreign Relations
- Former Member, Markle Foundation Taskforce on National Security in the Information Age
- Former Member, Board of Visitors, US Military Academy